ophtho vs. rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happypenguin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know, i know; two totally different fields, but i honestly like both. any personal thoughts on the competitiveness, resident happiness, real world happiness, and career outlooks of each? i think i might like rads slightly better but it's hard to say no to one less year and lack of inhouse call that ophtho offers. i know you should pick based on the long term, but man, i'm tired and the past three years of med school seemed like the longest of my life. what's your take? and no, i don't mind sitting in the dark or doing microsurgery all day. i kinda like both.

Members don't see this ad.

i know, i know; two totally different fields, but i honestly like both. any personal thoughts on the competitiveness, resident happiness, real world happiness, and career outlooks of each? i think i might like rads slightly better but it's hard to say no to one less year and lack of inhouse call that ophtho offers. i know you should pick based on the long term, but man, i'm tired and the past three years of med school seemed like the longest of my life. what's your take? and no, i don't mind sitting in the dark or doing microsurgery all day. i kinda like both.
If medical school has made you this tired, I think -- seriously -- that Ophtho might be the right choice for you.

If medical school has made you this tired, I think -- seriously -- that Ophtho might be the right choice for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do rads, you better be ready to work. I am sorry, but I would rather not deal with whiners... Perhaps I misunderstand you, if so, I apologize.

But if that truly reflects your attitude and your work ethic please pick ophtho!

so you think ophtho is more cush than rads? i've heard of ppl switching from rads to ophtho but not the other way around, so it seems like ophtho might be more cush, but on my interviews, the rads ppl just seem so much happier... i wonder why that is...

I think he's trying to protect his field so he's encouraging you to go to ophtho.

"Cushness" is certainly a factor to consider. But I wouldn't really let it steer you towards a future career. (ok ok...if you're choosing between gen surg and rads, then it might be a consideration) But you come off as a whiner if you're trying to find what's cushier between rads and ophtho.

the competitiveness,
Ophtho is certainly harder to get into. There are few second rate ophtho programs but plenty of mediocre radiology residencies.

resident happiness,

Radiology residents definitely whine more. The ophthos know that they have quite a nice deal coming and tend to be happy about it.

real world happiness,

I have yet to meet an unhappy ophthalmologist. Yes, they will complain how they miss the good old days when a cataract netted you 2k (now its $600), but still they tend to like what they do.

and career outlooks of each?

In the short term, you are going to make more in rads. However, if you have a modicum of enterpeneurial drive, you have good opportunities in ophtho.

one less year and lack of inhouse call that ophtho offers.

A good number of ophtho programs have in-house call. At those places, many things that are usually dealt with by the ED staff will be seen by the ophtho residents (corneal abrasions, foreign bodies, trauma involving the orbit).

i don't mind sitting in the dark or doing microsurgery all day. i kinda like both.

I know plenty of ophthalmologists, none of them does microsurgery all day. Most of them see patients 2-3 days/week and operate 1-2 days. It is the balance of being someones doctor but doing neat surgical procedures on a rather predictable timetable that makes it such an attractive field.

i was trying to decide between the two too... i just did a rotation in ophtho last month, and it was really awesome, but i just think radiology is a better fit for me..

you should do electives in both and see what you like

Ophtho is certainly harder to get into. There are few second rate ophtho programs but plenty of mediocre radiology residencies.

Radiology residents definitely whine more. The ophthos know that they have quite a nice deal coming and tend to be happy about it.

I have yet to meet an unhappy ophthalmologist. Yes, they will complain how they miss the good old days when a cataract netted you 2k (now its $600), but still they tend to like what they do.

In the short term, you are going to make more in rads. However, if you have a modicum of enterpeneurial drive, you have good opportunities in ophtho.

A good number of ophtho programs have in-house call. At those places, many things that are usually dealt with by the ED staff will be seen by the ophtho residents (corneal abrasions, foreign bodies, trauma involving the orbit).

I know plenty of ophthalmologists, none of them does microsurgery all day. Most of them see patients 2-3 days/week and operate 1-2 days. It is the balance of being someones doctor but doing neat surgical procedures on a rather predictable timetable that makes it such an attractive field.

very well put

very well put

Both rads and ophtho are very narrow specialties and thus IMO are quite vulnerable to any reimbursement changes. Starting salary for general ophtho in good cities have been around $100000-140000, that's if you could find a job at all. I've heard $90000 on west coast large cities. Radiologists are still making banks, even in large cities, but in the last couple year they seem to be working harder and longer hours to keep the same income.