Opinion needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdv4PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm here looking for some advice. Currently I am in school, knocking out all the pre reqs for PT schools. Only have Physics I and II left and I will be finished with all pre-reqs. As of now, I don't have a bachelors, nor have I taken the GREs. I've been trying to get into a combined BS/DPT program. Would any of you suggest I finish up a Bachelors this year in Interdisciplinary Studies, or continue and try to get into a combined program. My plan as of now is to go to school part time and take physics and study for the GRE's and see if I will be accepted into a combined program. Would this be better than just finishing a Bachelors and then applying to other programs? If I would choose the latter , I wouldn't have time to study for the GRE's. Thank you all in advance I know its a sticky situation .

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would finish your bachelor's, especially if you're graduating this year. You'll have a lot more options of schools after finishing than doing a combined bachelor's/DPT. Plus most schools don't care what your undergraduate degree is in as long as you have the prereqs, as you probably know. You're so close to finishing, you might as well just do it. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps :)

I was thinking the same thing CAFLgirl , however If i were to do that I'd be taking on a larger semester load, and wouldn't have much if any time to prep for the GREs. I really appreciate the reply, this has been lingering over my head for a while, and I need to make a decision rather quickly. Thank you again

Members don't see this ad :)
tdv4pt if it were me I would just finish the Bachelors degree first! There are many more options after getting your Bachelors degree first and then applying then there are combined BS/DPT programs. Plus it would be nice just to have a degree as a back-up plan (most places only care that you have a degree, in case pt didn't work out as planned, or took a little different course for you). As for the GRE it is not too extremely difficult to where you need to take a whole semester to study for it. The vocabulary is the main thing to make flash cards and look at daily and the math isn't anything more than what you would see in a college analytical course! Good luck hope this helps some

I'd get the bachelor's degree first for the same reasons mentioned.

I agree with what's been mentioned. It's hard to place all your eggs in one basket. Better to get your bachelor's and have lots of options.

Thank you all so much for your input. This has been hanging over my head for a while and time is ticking for a decision to be made. Thanks again, I'm glad I fortunately found this site where I could actually get real opinions. Much appreciated all.

Also in agreement with others-- the BS/DPT programs are for people entering college for the first time; you get the BS and as long as you meet the program's requirements you go onto the graduate program... if you are already taking college courses, it would be silly to "start over" with the BS/DPT-- just get a BS and then apply to DPT in many places :)