Opinion on contacting schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salto571

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a problem... I got in to 2 school but they are not really my top choices. The very first school that accepted me, I gave a deposit to so that I knew I at least had a place to go to. The second place is higher up on my list, not by much but enough that i would rather go there. So is it appropriate to contact my top 3 schools to see what my status is? I dont want to keep throwing my money away if im going to get into places that are ever so slightly incrementally better than the last one. I should be so lucky if even that happens but we shall see. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should contact them and at least get a timeframe for when you'll be notified of their decision. I think that's pretty fair. Conversely, maybe you can talk to the schools you've already been accepted to and ask for an extension on their deadline.

Also, find out what kind of refund you have on your deposit(s)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat more or less. I called my top choice school, and the only information they provided for me was that my application is complete and it's still under consideration. I know they've already conducted plenty of interviews, so I decided to take destiny into my own hands and mail a letter of interest directly to the program director, stating why I'm so interested in their program, why I'm a good fit, and that they're my top choice.

Not sure if this was the best move (though my brother was urging me to call the department head- don't have the chutzpah to do that!) but I don't feel like I can sit idly by. This way, even if I'm rejected, at least I'll feel like I did all I could. And maybe they'll appreciate my interest and give me at least the chance to interview.

Anyone do anything similar? Has it worked/backfired?

Yup, I sent a letter to one of my schools. Then when I followed up, was told it was received. Don't think it changed much at this point....at least not until I get an interview.