Opinions about clinicals from DMU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GoldenGustie

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, I am going to be starting at CMPS this fall and am curious to hear about experiences from the basic science portion of the curriculum and clinicals. What are the keys to surviving the long road to becoming a DPM? I am very excited to hear responses about experiences and programs around the country, and in particular the midwest. If anyone has any opinions feel free to chime in. Cheers 🙂
 
Hello all, I am going to be starting at CMPS this fall and am curious to hear about experiences from the basic science portion of the curriculum and clinicals. What are the keys to surviving the long road to becoming a DPM? I am very excited to hear responses about experiences and programs around the country, and in particular the midwest. If anyone has any opinions feel free to chime in. Cheers 🙂

The name of the game your first year is SURVIVAL! It is a rough year but you do learn a lot. Most first years spend the majority of their time either in class or studying. Second year is still pretty intense but I don't think you're spread quite as thin. The first two years, you just have to stay on top of things as much as you can (at some points, it won't be possible). Then you take boards and are thankful that you got your butt kicked for the first two years.

Your third year, you will rotate between the DMU Foot & Ankle Institute, VA, Broadlawns Medical Center, and clinics in Greenfield and Pella. In the beginning, most students are nervous to be dealing with actual patients but you spend the year overcoming your fears and becoming more aggressive.

Your fourth year is up to you. You must do 1-four month core and 1 month of private practice. Other than that, you go where you want.

Every year is very challenging and nerve-wracking in its own way. Getting a DPM is extremely difficult but rewarding. I am now at the stage where I am very excited to start residency and continue the learning process. My next big hurdle is part II of the board exams this March. After that, it is smooth sailing until May.
 
The name of the game your first year is SURVIVAL! It is a rough year but you do learn a lot. Most first years spend the majority of their time either in class or studying. Second year is still pretty intense but I don't think you're spread quite as thin. The first two years, you just have to stay on top of things as much as you can (at some points, it won't be possible). Then you take boards and are thankful that you got your butt kicked for the first two years.

Your third year, you will rotate between the DMU Foot & Ankle Institute, VA, Broadlawns Medical Center, and clinics in Greenfield and Pella. In the beginning, most students are nervous to be dealing with actual patients but you spend the year overcoming your fears and becoming more aggressive.

Your fourth year is up to you. You must do 1-four month core and 1 month of private practice. Other than that, you go where you want.

Every year is very challenging and nerve-wracking in its own way. Getting a DPM is extremely difficult but rewarding. I am now at the stage where I am very excited to start residency and continue the learning process. My next big hurdle is part II of the board exams this March. After that, it is smooth sailing until May.

Jon gave you a good summary of the road. It is long and at times feels impossible but just keep working and before you know it you are in the position Jon is in; ready to graduate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember being in your position last year, I wanted to know as much as I could before I started. Jonwill and Feelgood are probably the 2 best sources of info on here about DMU, but nothing anybody says can really prepare you. From a 1st years perspective, as of right now, it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. If you have half a brain and can study, you'll get by just fine. It's the people that want to socialize and go in thinking they know everything that get screwed over. But yes, it's super intense and it doesn't let up. I've been told that the rigorous curriculum contributes to DMU's high pass rate on boards and why our students excel in rotations. I love this school, you won't be disappointed.
 
I remember being in your position last year, I wanted to know as much as I could before I started. Jonwill and Feelgood are probably the 2 best sources of info on here about DMU, but nothing anybody says can really prepare you. From a 1st years perspective, as of right now, it's not as bad as I imagined it would be. If you have half a brain and can study, you'll get by just fine. It's the people that want to socialize and go in thinking they know everything that get screwed over. But yes, it's super intense and it doesn't let up. I've been told that the rigorous curriculum contributes to DMU's high pass rate on boards and why our students excel in rotations. I love this school, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Densmore, those are great words to hear! Right now I'm just psyched to get started but guess I'll have to wait until august...which is okay too because it gives me some time to relax and have fun before the real fun starts! 😀
 
That's the best thing you can do, just relax and enjoy a stress free life. Good luck next year, I'll probably see you around. If you have any other questions about 1st year stuff or Podiatry in general, you can PM me, I'm also one of the APMSA delegates for my class.