Opinions about USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trannguyen15

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently received an interview from USC. Besides the expensive tuition and wonderful weather, is USC a good dental school that trains well-qualified dentists? I heard that faculty is not easy to approach and the patient pool is really an issue because you have to find the patients yourself. The technologies are also old. I wonder if these things are true? I really appreciate your input!

I'm an international student so tuition doesn't matter since I can't take loans from the government.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I have recently received an interview from USC. Besides the expensive tuition and wonderful weather, is USC a good dental school that trains well-qualified dentists? I heard that faculty is not easy to approach and the patient pool is really an issue because you have to find the patients yourself. The technologies are also old. I wonder if these things are true? I really appreciate your input!

I'm an international student so tuition doesn't matter since I can't take loans from the government.

I'd ask if U$C still has PBL. Problem based learning was a horrible disaster when it first started and I wonder if they worked the kinks out yet. The weather is nice, but USC is located in the middle of south central LA (relatively ghetto outside its boundaries). I don't think you should depend on faculty at all, in any school. Patient pool and distribution varies a lot from school to school, and sometimes (for any school), you need to pay patients to come so you can get your graduation requirements. I'm not sure of their technologies, but a school visit might help.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd ask if U$C still has PBL. Problem based learning was a horrible disaster when it first started and I wonder if they worked the kinks out yet. The weather is nice, but USC is located in the middle of south central LA (relatively ghetto outside its boundaries). I don't think you should depend on faculty at all, in any school. Patient pool and distribution varies a lot from school to school, and sometimes (for any school), you need to pay patients to come so you can get your graduation requirements. I'm not sure of their technologies, but a school visit might help.

Thanks for your input. All I know is some say that PBL gives more "free" time because the students have to study independently. I just don't like PBL when it comes to basic science courses. I just asked some USC students and they all said that the school is always loaded with patients so I don't understand why some on SDN reported that the patient pool at USC was horrible. I don't know which is true. I'd love to visit USC but can't with this pandemic.

In general, most students will not say anything bad about their schools. Cognitive dissonance I suppose. So use your best judgement when students are being truthful and when they’re trying to “sell” you.

Last edited:
In general, most students will not say anything bad about their schools. Cognitive dissonance I suppose. So use your best judgement when programs are being truthful and when they’re trying to “sell” you.

I'll keep it in mind too. Still, I should listen to those who actually go to the school rather than people on SDN that have never been there and made judgement based on the school's tuition alone. But thanks for your advice!

So, you’re paying cash then?

Big Hoss
If your dental education cost you 500k and not a penny over. Is it worth it? Is it really just the interest that makes it a tough decision as to whether it will financially pay off?

I'll keep it in mind too. Still, I should listen to those who actually go to the school rather than people on SDN that have never been there and made judgement based on the school's tuition alone. But thanks for your advice!
Hi, I am a 2020 USC grad and just wanted to give you some answers to the questions you have asked. In terms of pbl,different people in my class had different opinions. Some liked it, mostly for the free time aspect. However for me, PBL just simply was not for me compared to traditional lectures. It just didnt motivate me but i beared through it.

Your question about USC faculty being not approachable is true for a few faculty. But keep in my mind there are quite alot of faculty at USC where some are really approachable while some are not. If you feel the need to ask the faculty a question, you should just ask?

The way you get patients at USC is either the school assigns them to you, you find them at the emergency clinic, you refer friends/family, or your classmates give them to you. I dont know what you mean about finding patients yourself....like I have not heard of any students advertising in public or online for patients if that is what you are asking. That being said, it is sometimes hard to find the right patients. Because if the school assigns them to you, the patient may need alot of dental work or they may need only a cleaning. I would say I was not very lucky in this aspect and had difficulty finding procedures I needed such as RCT. It is also competitive to book chairs for patients at USC because many students want to work with a certain faculty.

I am not sure what technologies are old at USC because they seem pretty new to me. The school has CAD/CAM systems so onlay/crowns can be in-house milling. The school recently changed to 3D RPD frameworks and CAD/CAM complete dentures. They also teach the students about delivering screw retained implant restorations and you may get to do guided implant placement if you find an easy enough case.

Despite not liking PBL, I still enjoyed my time at USC because I had met some wonderful faculty and classmates, especially my group practice director. However, it is also possible to get one certain group practice director that is not as ideal and your clinic experience would be more difficult. Hope this was helpful.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
If your dental education cost you 500k and not a penny over. Is it worth it? Is it really just the interest that makes it a tough decision as to whether it will financially pay off?
I would never pay $500,000 to go to dental school. How long do you think it would take you to see a return on that investment?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am a 2020 USC grad and just wanted to give you some answers to the questions you have asked. In terms of pbl,different people in my class had different opinions. Some liked it, mostly for the free time aspect. However for me, PBL just simply was not for me compared to traditional lectures. It just didnt motivate me but i beared through it.

Your question about USC faculty being not approachable is true for a few faculty. But keep in my mind there are quite alot of faculty at USC where some are really approachable while some are not. If you feel the need to ask the faculty a question, you should just ask?

The way you get patients at USC is either the school assigns them to you, you find them at the emergency clinic, you refer friends/family, or your classmates give them to you. I dont know what you mean about finding patients yourself....like I have not heard of any students advertising in public or online for patients if that is what you are asking. That being said, it is sometimes hard to find the right patients. Because if the school assigns them to you, the patient may need alot of dental work or they may need only a cleaning. I would say I was not very lucky in this aspect and had difficulty finding procedures I needed such as RCT. It is also competitive to book chairs for patients at USC because many students want to work with a certain faculty.

I am not sure what technologies are old at USC because they seem pretty new to me. The school has CAD/CAM systems so onlay/crowns can be in-house milling. The school recently changed to 3D RPD frameworks and CAD/CAM complete dentures. They also teach the students about delivering screw retained implant restorations and you may get to do guided implant placement if you find an easy enough case.

Despite not liking PBL, I still enjoyed my time at USC because I had met some wonderful faculty and classmates, especially my group practice director. However, it is also possible to get one certain group practice director that is not as ideal and your clinic experience would be more difficult. Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it! It seems that USC has updated its facilities and lab as well.

Do you mind if I message you? Thank you!

I would never pay $500,000 to go to dental school. How long do you think it would take you to see a return on that investment?

Big Hoss
well if you start at 125k and bring home let’s say 90k after taxes. It would take you 5 years to make that money back and that’s if your income doesn’t increase. If you go on to specialize then you would make it back quicker after starting your career.. right? Just to be clear, I’m saying there is 0 interest and no loans accruing

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
well if you start at 125k and bring home let’s say 90k after taxes. It would take you 5 years to make that money back and that’s if your income doesn’t increase. If you go on to specialize then you would make it back quicker after starting your career.. right? Just to be clear, I’m saying there is 0 interest and no loans accruing

Lol that would mean you putting every single cent of your income towards your loans. How will you eat, where will you sleep, actually get to work? Also interest will make that loan 600k+, I think you should try a using loan calculator. There’s one on the Federal Student Aid website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol that would mean you putting every single cent of your income towards your loans. How will you eat, where will you sleep, actually get to work? Also interest will make that loan 600k+, I think you should try a using loan calculator. There’s one on the Federal Student Aid website.
Well I obviously understand that. The point of my post was to see if the dental degree and income is worth a flat rate of 500k. NO interest. I know you can’t put every cent towards that cost but considering it’s not accruing interest, would it be worth it financially.

I just meant income wise, you would have made that investment back.

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it! It seems that USC has updated its facilities and lab as well.

Do you mind if I message you? Thank you!
Sure, feel free to message me.

You also forgot about the 4 years of opportunity cost from your time in dental school. So, after a decade of your life and living out of your car so all your money can go towards your loans, you’re at your break even point. Was it worth it? And specializing can easily add on another $250,000+.

Big Hoss

Big Hoss
[/QUOTE]
You also forgot about the 4 years of opportunity cost from your time in dental school. So, after a decade of your life and living out of your car so all your money can go towards your loans, you’re at your break even point. Was it worth it? And specializing can easily add on another $250,000+.

Big Hoss
so what is the optimal scenario for you? Or are there none for the field of dentistry?

so what is the optimal scenario for you? Or are there none for the field of dentistry?
It’s called the HPSP. And it’s only going to become more competitive as tuition keeps going up and the number of dentists in the military goes down because of cuts.

I would choose another profession if I had to pay a $500,000 entrance fee to get into dentistry.

Big Hoss

It’s called the HPSP. And it’s only going to become more competitive as tuition keeps going up and the number of dentists in the military goes down because of cuts.

I would choose another profession if I had to pay a $500,000 entrance fee to get into dentistry.

Big Hoss
You think PSLF is a bubble that will pop within the next 10 years?

You think PSLF is a bubble that will pop within the next 10 years?
Of course it will! All those loan forgiveness plans are going to cost hundreds of billions more than originally projected. The US is already dead broke. The national debt is almost $220,000 per taxpayer and quickly rising. In the next 10-15 years there will be a financial crisis like you’ve never imagined brought on by unchecked government spending and borrowing.

Big Hoss

Where you go to dental school doesn’t matter. You are paying for a degree, not the underwhelming minimum experience all schools provide.

Money does matter.

“I'm an international student so tuition doesn't matter since I can't take loans from the government”

I don’t understand. Is the government paying for your education?

Where you go to dental school doesn’t matter. You are paying for a degree, not the underwhelming minimum experience all schools provide.

Money does matter.

“I'm an international student so tuition doesn't matter since I can't take loans from the government”

I don’t understand. Is the government paying for your education?

It means that I have to pay tuition with my cash

Better the stats, the better chance for the cheapest school. Some applicants seem to think it’s the better the school, the pricier.

Well I agree but the cheapest schools won't seek out international students unless they have 25+ DAT.

I interviewed at USC around this time 3 years years ago. I remember vividly the moment they showed us the tuition breakdown of 4 years, I started thinking about what my plans for exploring LA are after the interview, and stopped caring about the rest of interview because I knew I would not return there. You can say all you want to convince yourself to go to USC but you know deep down it's not worth it. If you have other options, go to other school my friend. Most dental schools especially the older ones have pretty good alumni network so you don't have to worry about connection. There are some schools that are international friendly that still have high tuition but still nowhere near USC. And ask yourself, would you pay 600K ish just to self teach yourself with the PBL system?

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hello!

USC D2 here. Faculty are not difficult to approach at all, you can straight up go and talk to them. I think patient pool is hard to find everywhere because of Covid so I doubt USC's issue is stemming from the school itself, rather LA county health codes and all that it entails. What do you mean by technologies are old?