Opinions on 2nd Tier Programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDo-Little

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen about 201 threads about the relative rankings of MGH vs Johns Hopkins vs UCSF, etc, but I haven't seen much about 2nd tier university-based programs. So please give me you opinions about...

U.Miami
UC Irvine
Boston University
Albert Einstein (Montefiore, Jacobi)
SUNY Downstate

And any other university-base IM programs that you think are good for a guy who wants to do a fellowship, but whose rank lisk my have to include programs less competitive than (gassp) B&W.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody knows anything about second tier programs? Is everybody here going to MGH??

I can't speak for Miami or Irvine but IMHO, BU>Monte>>>Jacobi and Monte>>SUNY Downstate. In fact, I am not sure i'd put jacobi and downstate in the 2nd tier, maybe lower.

They are all affiliated with city hospitals, so you'll have to work a little harder as an intern than if you were at a private hospital.

BTW, There are a lot of older threads that talk about NY hospitals, and some throw in comparisons with the Boston hospitals.

I think it is not productive for us to rank like this, though. Everyone has their own values of what would make a program more desirable than others. If you can't stand cold winters, Mayo and MGH would not be as desirable as a Miami or an Irvine.

DoctorDo-Little said:
I've seen about 201 threads about the relative rankings of MGH vs Johns Hopkins vs UCSF, etc, but I haven't seen much about 2nd tier university-based programs. So please give me you opinions about...

U.Miami
UC Irvine
Boston University
SUNY Downstate

And any other university-base IM programs that you think are good for a guy who wants to do a fellowship, but whose rank lisk my have to include programs less competitive than (gassp) B&W.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there are any 2nd tier University based programs where you wouldn't be able to score a fellowship; just pick your location and go for it! However, I have heard (from a Downstate alum who just finished his residency at BWH) that the morale at SUNY-DS is not exactly great, and the residents get scutted out a lot, but I don't know anything about it personally. BU is an intense program, great reputation, nice city, Montefiore the same but not such a nice location, and can't beat CA weather for UCI.

If you prefer a more laid back environment (not like internship is laid back!) as opposed to the intensity of the Boston and NYC hospitals, two programs I thought were great were Brown and UMass. very friendly environments, good deal of contact with attendings, strong fellowship matches (particularly Brown in the latter category), good mix of large academic medical center and community hospital medicine. Brown has the better national rep, while the UMass program is a bit more primary-care oriented and still growing. I ended up at UMass and really like it here; Worcester (Woosta) is so-so, University Hospital Campus is under major construction (and needs it badly), but I have not run into a single overtly malignant person yet. Feel free to PM me with ?'s about either program.

Up and coming West Coast/Southwest programs with nice people (so I hear): University of New Mexico, U of Arizona, UC Irvine (as you mentioned), UT-Houston, Utah. USC is supposed to be a tough place to work, and UNLV doesn't have any affiliated fellowship programs.

it think that each program has a different flavor and you have to decide where you fit in best. that said both monte and bu are big programs where you are going to work hard, and probably learn alot. people place well for fellowships there. irvine and i would imagine miami are a little more chill, probably partly due to the climate, people are just a little more laid back there. i don't think there is a big enough difference in quality of education so i would go where ever i felt most comfortable.

DoctorDo-Little said:

U.Miami
UC Irvine
Boston University
SUNY Downstate

Thanks.

I second Irlandesa's recommendation to consider Brown's program. It's a relatively large program that's quite academic, and seems to have good fellowship placement. One of my friends is a resident there and really loves it. You get to see/do a lot, as it's the only tertiary care center in the RI, unless you care to go to Boston and fight the traffic. Providence is a really great, liveable city too. Definitely worth a look.

OHSU in Portland, OR; strong IM program in a good city. University of Maryland, strong second tier program. University of Wisconsin in a great town and the PD came across as being very invested in his residents. Just a few places that I have some experience with and/or interviewed at.

irlandesa said:
I don't think there are any 2nd tier University based programs where you wouldn't be able to score a fellowship; just pick your location and go for it! However, I have heard (from a Downstate alum who just finished his residency at BWH) that the morale at SUNY-DS is not exactly great, and the residents get scutted out a lot, but I don't know anything about it personally. BU is an intense program, great reputation, nice city, Montefiore the same but not such a nice location, and can't beat CA weather for UCI.

If you prefer a more laid back environment (not like internship is laid back!) as opposed to the intensity of the Boston and NYC hospitals, two programs I thought were great were Brown and UMass. very friendly environments, good deal of contact with attendings, strong fellowship matches (particularly Brown in the latter category), good mix of large academic medical center and community hospital medicine. Brown has the better national rep, while the UMass program is a bit more primary-care oriented and still growing. I ended up at UMass and really like it here; Worcester (Woosta) is so-so, University Hospital Campus is under major construction (and needs it badly), but I have not run into a single overtly malignant person yet. Feel free to PM me with ?'s about either program.

Up and coming West Coast/Southwest programs with nice people (so I hear): University of New Mexico, U of Arizona, UC Irvine (as you mentioned), UT-Houston, Utah. USC is supposed to be a tough place to work, and UNLV doesn't have any affiliated fellowship programs.

Hey irlandesa, I tried to PM you but apparently your mailbox is full. I am looking hard at Brown and Umass as well as some other New England programs, I would love to get your POV!

Pinesinger said:
Hey irlandesa, I tried to PM you but apparently your mailbox is full. I am looking hard at Brown and Umass as well as some other New England programs, I would love to get your POV!

hey, sorry about the bad mailbox maintenance on my part, internship is way too busy, even at good ol' laid-back UMass! :p Would be happy to answer anyone's ?'s when I have time (like Derm elective starting in 2 days). Other New England programs not mentioned on this thread that are worth a look are Yale-Primary Care, Maine Medical Center, Dartmouth (rural, but academically top-notch). Wholeheartedly agree with furball on U of Maryland, the program and Baltimore are WAY underrated.