Opinions on applying to less schools

Started by Impcus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Impcus

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I decided that the cost of most private and out of state medical schools is just too much for me, so I am applying to schools in my state mostly (Michigan). This includes MSU, U of M (definitely a long shot), CMU, Oakland (even thought its private), and Wayne. I am also throwing in the University of Wisconsin because it looks like a great school for me and is reasonably priced (even though it is pretty selective).

I could definitely still throw out some more applications, but I was wondering if it seems realistic that I might get into one of these schools and save myself some application fees.

I feel I am an average applicant (3.53 GPA with 3.48 SGPA, 35 MCAT with a good spread of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, student org officer, shadowing, and recently scribe work).

I know this thread isn't super helpful for most other people, so I really appreciate any response.

P.S. I think I am a little screwed on CMU because in a secondary essay I used the same word twice in a sentence and it just comes off as super awkward and unprofessional, but what are ya gonna do...
 
So U of M is a long shot, Wisconsin isn't OOS friendly, and you aren't confident in your CMU application, meaning you have ~3 solid chances.

To each their own, but those aren't odds I'd feel comfortable with.
 
I only applied to 7. I had high stats and had an IS school I was a shoo-in at. I wasn't concerned about a potential gap year so I applied to only schools I really wanted to be at. You should be fine to get into one of your IS schools looking at it strictly numbers wise. Just remember it is a risk to apply to a small number of schools so have a backup plan just in case.

Also... Don't be neurotic. Nobody is throwing out an app for using the same word twice in a sentence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why so worried about the cost? You are going to instantly make well over 6 figures when you finish residency. You can get very low interest loans, as banks/govt see medical loans as very low risk.
 
I only applied to 7. I had high stats and had an IS school I was a shoo-in at. I wasn't concerned about a potential gap year so I applied to only schools I really wanted to be at. You should be fine to get into one of your IS schools looking at it strictly numbers wise. Just remember it is a risk to apply to a small number of schools so have a backup plan just in case.

Also... Don't be neurotic. Nobody is throwing out an app for using the same word twice in a sentence.
Appreciate it, and I do have a backup plan: keep scribing and apply again, XD
I figure if things don't go well this time I will go again and add MSU's osteopathic school, but I just wanted to gauge what people thought