Opinions on chances.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaryoKinesis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Just wanted some feedback on my chances of getting in this cycle.

I have a 4.0 GPA, 4.0 Science GPA, undergrad work at Duke University, double major in Biochemistry and Physics.

Heres the interesting part. I didnt study at all for the DAT, never seen the perceptual ability sections before, and just took the test blindly.
Here are my scores:

Biology 16
General Chemistry 14
Organic Chemistry 15
Reading Comp 19
Quant Reasoning 16
Academic Average 16
Perceptual Ability 16

im guessing, with a 4.0 i can get by on the "im a bad standardized test taker"?!?!?!

Im applying to Harvard, Pacific, and UNC School of Dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I know that UOP is a DAT school, although if it's anyone that would get in with a low DAT, it would probably be you...

Harvard is a private school and would most likely invite you to an interview and make you explain what happened on the DAT's...

UNC is probably up in the air, as they are a public school and your GPA offsets your DATs...you probably have a good chance, but not sure because you are applying late in the cycle...

KaryoKinesis said:
Hello. Just wanted some feedback on my chances of getting in this cycle.

I have a 4.0 GPA, 4.0 Science GPA, undergrad work at Duke University, double major in Biochemistry and Physics.

Heres the interesting part. I didnt study at all for the DAT, never seen the perceptual ability sections before, and just took the test blindly.
Here are my scores:

Biology 16
General Chemistry 14
Organic Chemistry 15
Reading Comp 19
Quant Reasoning 16
Academic Average 16
Perceptual Ability 16

im guessing, with a 4.0 i can get by on the "im a bad standardized test taker"?!?!?!

Im applying to Harvard, Pacific, and UNC School of Dentistry.

If I were you, I'd re-take it. To some people, your scores may look like an insufficient preparation for your future. From what I hear, knowledge is not the only thing that gets you in. BTW, 4.0 from Duke? I ADMIRE you. You don't want the test scores to ruin that. Re-take it if you can.
You never saw PAT before and scored 16? That explains your 4.0. I studied my b*tt off and only got 18.

Your excuse that your a bad test taker, should not be mentioned if you get interviews. Reason why. If you state that you are a bad test taker, how are you going to pass your boards and licensing exam. You need those in order to actually practice dentistry, am I right. If I heard that and I was admssion commitee member, I would seriously consider not allowing you to matriculate into school.

On the other hand, you demonstrated that you are highly proficient during school, maintaing such a high standard in college. A 4.0 is very hard to maintain. Being that I think a silly test cannot determine your overall worth to the profession. I am leaning towards allowing you into dental school, becuase I know you can maintain the work load.

plus you can take your boards over.

You win, welcome to d-school

HD

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I get belittled by other SDNers, let me admit/state that what follows is just my opinion. None of us are on any admission committee and all we can do is speculate. ;)

And here it goes: Based on your GPA and difficulty of majors at Duke, it is evident you have a good head on your shoulders. With those numbers, I would expect to see a DAT score in the 20s. But, a AA and PAT of 16 shows you didn't study or adequately prepare for the test (which you're not denying). To me, that's a red flag. I hope you've shadowed a dentist to show ADCOMs that you are committed to being a dentist because by not studying for the exam and consequently getting below average on the DAT, you're sending the wrong message. If you want to make dentistry your career, I don't think it's asking too much to study 20-30 hours over the course of a few months to prepare. You're definitely capable of knocking the socks off the DAT. Tough to say what to do -- Your 4.0 might be enough to shadow your DAT score if you have the extracurriculars that show you're determined to be a dentist (i.e. shadowing); otherwise, to ADCOMs, it may look like you just took the DAT for the hell of it.

p.s. I agree with hockeydentist that it's a bad move to tell 'em you're not a good standardize test taker. Harvard asks for your high school transcript, which usually has your SAT or ACT scores on it. If you did well on them, there goes that excuse... :eek:

Hello, thanks everyone for your opinions. I took the DAT last week, and Im afraid I wont get to take it again until January. So Pacific is out of the question huh? I really wanted to go to d-school for 3 years. Maybe I can talk to my schools and tell them I will make 20+ on the DAT in January. Oh and the standerdized thing was not serious, I know thats a lame excuse. I made a 1470 on the SATs.

LOL. I think Karyokinesis forgot to mention hes worked as a dental tech for the last two years, and this summer shadowed an oral-maxilo guy in duke land. Dude, your in like flint, are u kidding me? I think even Pacific wants you with your GPA. They have high DATs, but Im sure theyll take a 16/16 to increase their GPA average. Oh and by the way, I went to high school with this kid and hes a freakin genius. Congrats on all the hard work. Maybe we can open a practice one day together if you let me join you. haha

It's kinda hard for me to believe that someone who could get a 4.0 double major in biochem and physics at duke would negelect to prepare for such a crucial exam. The few 4.0ers at my school (very competitive) are so anal about every single exam, I dont see how one could brush off any exam, let alone the DAT.

Either way, someone in this positiion should spend 1 week and review and get a 22+. With those grades at that school, this is how much prep I would imagine you need.

-P