Opinions on emailing program directors/ program coordinators/ residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingston99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied for the match this cycle. So far I have received a few rejection emails but no interview invites.
Would emailing the program director/coordinator/ resident help me up my chances to get an interview. I met a few people at a conference from programs, so I have some extra information and a connection. Would it still be a shot in the dark or something that shows I am really interested in the program?
Also would calling be better than an email or valued just the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied for the match this cycle. So far I have received a few rejection emails but no interview invites.
Would emailing the program director/coordinator/ resident help me up my chances to get an interview. I met a few people at a conference from programs, so I have some extra information and a connection. Would it still be a shot in the dark or something that shows I am really interested in the program?
Also would calling be better than an email or valued just the same?

I'd say that after 10/10 it's not likely to hurt and it might help. Have a solid reason for your interest, and only contact the program once. I don't have a preference between calls or emails, so do whichever one you are more comfortable with. If you know someone at a particular program, it would be more effective for that person to reach out on your behalf. Good luck!

I'd say that after 10/10 it's not likely to hurt and it might help. Have a solid reason for your interest, and only contact the program once. I don't have a preference between calls or emails, so do whichever one you are more comfortable with. If you know someone at a particular program, it would be more effective for that person to reach out on your behalf. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.