Opinions on Med School Admissions Support Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyra

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever went through a med school admissions consulting service, where a company helps you write the personal statement, asking for recommendations, etc. where they assist students through the whole admissions process? Of course people have gotten in without using this service, but most of the admissions process is about packaging yourself and making the adcoms see the best side of you while playing down weaknesses. These programs ask for mucho $$ but what is everyone's opinion on this sort of "investment"?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't need it, don't do it.... :cool:

That sounds like a complete waste of money to me...it's really not necessary.

Unless you feel absolutely clueless about the process, I really, really doubt it is worth the money. There are a TON of books out there about "How to Get Into Med School" covering everything from the classes you need to take and how well you need to do, extracurrics. you should think about to how to write your personal statement, and how to dress for the interview. Spending about $40-50 at Barnes and Noble, and buckling down and doing your research will probably yield the same, if not better, result. Also, consider your advising office as well -- each school is different, but my undergrad had some very good premed advising, and I know that is the case at some other schools as well. Finally, I may be slightly biased, but if you have specific questions about the application process, this site, as well as some other med/pre-med related sites can be extremely helpful in getting advice on different parts of the process.

My advice: save the money for your applications and interviews.