Opinions on med school culture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me which med schools have the most layed-back and relaxed environment to them. The culture of the school is very important to me as I would want to go to one where the students generally get along and are happy to be there instead of one with cut-throat competition.

From what I gather Mt. Sinai is often mentioned as a really good med school with a relaxed environment. If you know of any others, list them.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

You need to come check out Texas Tech University SOM in Lubbock, TX.

Everyone is VERY laid back, lots of note sharing 1st/2nd year, 3rd/4th years go out with residents/attendings for drinks/party/sports/dinner or whatever... Smaller school system allows for medical students to get MANY procedures (I put in a chest tube as an MS1 hanging out in the ED). You can afford to purchase a home or rent a very nice apartment/house if you choose and live within 5 mins from school (far away is 15 mins). If you are not in Texas but do get accepted, they give scholarships to match in state tuition which comes to less than 10K per year.

And contrary to popular belief on this board, we DO every year put people in rads, gas, derm, optho, neurosurg, EM, etc.... You can go anywhere and do anything after your experience at Texas Tech

Good Luck...

I just asked my Kaplan teacher this yesterday and I've heard many people say that OSU is liek that. People are very helpful rather than the undergrad cut-throat kinda of feel. People take notes in clas and e-mail them out to everyone. This dooesn't mean don't attend class and use those but you ahve many resources in case you don't understand something.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to come check out Texas Tech University SOM in Lubbock, TX.

Everyone is VERY laid back, lots of note sharing 1st/2nd year, 3rd/4th years go out with residents/attendings for drinks/party/sports/dinner or whatever... Smaller school system allows for medical students to get MANY procedures (I put in a chest tube as an MS1 hanging out in the ED). You can afford to purchase a home or rent a very nice apartment/house if you choose and live within 5 mins from school (far away is 15 mins). If you are not in Texas but do get accepted, they give scholarships to match in state tuition which comes to less than 10K per year.

And contrary to popular belief on this board, we DO every year put people in rads, gas, derm, optho, neurosurg, EM, etc.... You can go anywhere and do anything after your experience at Texas Tech

Good Luck...

The people I talked to there didn't seem very happy. Yes, they all said it was laid back and yet at the same time they said the only reason they were there is because they didn't get in anywhere else (I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone but it seemed an overwhelming majority, except for people from the area that wanted to stay there). The Q&A session turned me off a lot.

I hate to say this, but I don't think there really is any such thing. I would love to be wrong, and I welcome any comments to the contrary (but only from people who are already in/already graduated from a med school).

I understand there is an element of competition no matter what med school you go to and that there will always be jerks and gunners but I'm just curious about the overall environment of the school.

I obviously havent been to med school yet, but the MSU thread is full of the NICEST people ever.. and the school seems to take people who are genuinely committed to helping the underserved.

Tulane I know is known for their laidback atmosphere too. When I visited I was really amazed.. because the kids seem so easygoing but they are so unbelievably knowledgeable about politics and sociocultural influences on medicine.. A really academically stimulating environment!

Every med school will say it is "laid back." Most, really, are not. There is a funny inverse relationship among med students: the more "laid back" people claim to be the less they actually are. The guy who will tell you he is "really chill" is usually the guy who will want to know how you did on the physio exam and later the guy who will round on your patients before you get there.

It's a competitive atmosphere, especially as people get closer to residency. That's not to say that people aren't friends and don't have fun, but it is serious business.

Every med school will say it is "laid back." Most, really, are not. There is a funny inverse relationship among med students: the more "laid back" people claim to be the less they actually are. The guy who will tell you he is "really chill" is usually the guy who will want to know how you did on the physio exam and later the guy who will round on your patients before you get there.

It's a competitive atmosphere, especially as people get closer to residency. That's not to say that people aren't friends and don't have fun, but it is serious business.

Agreed. People show up to med school with high goals and expectations and admissions has already culled out most of the really layed back folks from college. The first exam is when the barbs come out -- it's only natural when you have a group of people who have generally always done well and suddenly half of them find themselves below average.

But let's not confuse "nice" with "competitive" as some are doing on this thread. Everyone in med school is very nice. But that doesn't mean they don't want to trounce you on the next exam. The distinction is really just how well they hide it.

Probably the best rule of thumb I've come across is to look and see which schools have changed their grading system in the last couple of years. Generally schools only do that if it was felt that the competitive atmosphere was really becoming a problem.

I haven't noticed that my school is competitive. Maybe that will change as we get closer to residency. Everyone seems to share notes and help eachother out. We do have an A,B,C,D,F grade scale (honor, highsat, sat, lowsat, unsat actually) but grade percentages don't matter into our class rank and therefore it doesn't seem like theres any reason to try to be gunner-ish. (the individuals who get A's do so regularly, those who get B's do so regularly, etc and since there's no reason to compete within each group, there is less competition)
Also, at this point we've recieved a consistant message from the graduating class that for the most part (if their plan is consistant with performance), american seniors get the residency they want. Theres no reason to try to cut someone else down, just do your best, try to get involved in the field you like, and go from there.
I think its also a relatively low stress environment as well. We have a test every month and then move on to new material (no final at the end of the semester covering everything). We have an optional retake test after every final so if one does poorly, they can retake, or if they don't want to retake they have a few days off before the start of a new block.
Its possible that there is more competition than I realize because I rarely go to class.
Oh, I go to KU Med.

Agreed. People show up to med school with high goals and expectations and admissions has already culled out most of the really layed back folks from college. The first exam is when the barbs come out -- it's only natural when you have a group of people who have generally always done well and suddenly half of them find themselves below average.

But let's not confuse "nice" with "competitive" as some are doing on this thread. Everyone in med school is very nice. But that doesn't mean they don't want to trounce you on the next exam. The distinction is really just how well they hide it.

Probably the best rule of thumb I've come across is to look and see which schools have changed their grading system in the last couple of years. Generally schools only do that if it was felt that the competitive atmosphere was really becoming a problem.

I think this raises some interesting discussion points about what exactly this whole idea of "laid back" is in the context of medical school. If you are not in med school to do well then you are kidding yourself. You don't want to cut your fellow students down but you sure as heck should want to beat them on tests like L2D said.

Does the "laid back" student let all the other M3s take the good surgical cases and have face time with the attendings? Are you violating the laws of being "laid back" if you aggressively seek out interesting cases to follow? Are you not "laid back" if you volunteer to present a case in conference?

It's just all quite silly in my opinion, at some point you either man the guns or you crash and burn.

The people I talked to there didn't seem very happy. Yes, they all said it was laid back and yet at the same time they said the only reason they were there is because they didn't get in anywhere else (I'm sure it doesn't apply to everyone but it seemed an overwhelming majority, except for people from the area that wanted to stay there). The Q&A session turned me off a lot.

Wow.... how unnecessary. :eek:

So basically, you know more then the person who graduated from there??
At least you will fit in well at UTSW! I remember one time in the Parkland OR where even the nurses were bad mouthing Tech. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear Dartmouth is pretty nice. I mean it's located on a ski slope.

of my interviews, i'd say usc is pretty high on the list

At least you will fit in well at UTSW!

Consider Loyola. We are a happy bunch, that is for certain. I was going to say we are laid back, but then L2Ds comments would make my comment self-contradictory lol. Come walk around the campus and just observe the students for yourself. When I was on the interview trail, I did notice a bit of a culture difference at this school.

At least you will fit in well at UTSW! I remember one time in the Parkland OR where even the nurses were bad mouthing Tech. :thumbdown:

Yes I do.

Why was my comment unnecessary? It was an opinion...I didn't say it, the students at TT answering the questions said it, so go argue with them (too bad I can't remember their names).

Just like you can give opinions about a school you aren't in (UTSW), I can give mine about TT.

I never insulted TT as an institution (like you did with UTSW), I said that the people didn't seem too thrilled to be there, and that they were verbal about it. Seriously, I was surprised, since I was under the impression that the interview and the people on the panels were there to try to sell us their school, not to scare people away from it, but scare us away they did.

Also, I never insulted you. You, on the other hand, attacked me even though you don't know me.

If we are talking about trash talking, you were the only one here who did it.

I believe it all depends on who you hang out with in the class, but the nature of Pass/No Pass at a school does help foster students to work/learn together.

Its also about your attitude and your ability to manage your priorities. As busy as med school will get, you should be able to do the things you enjoy outside of medicine. You just have to find the right balance for yourself. You'll also have to find the right people to hang out with to study and hang out with.

Can you guys tell me which med schools have the most layed-back and relaxed environment to them. The culture of the school is very important to me as I would want to go to one where the students generally get along and are happy to be there instead of one with cut-throat competition.
This is a really interesting discussion. I chose my school (CCLCM) in part because we have no grades, no tests, no rankings, and no backstabbing. I wouldn't say that the students here are laid-back though, including me. Like AmoryBlaine and Law2Doc said, at any med school in the country, you are taking a group of very highly accomplished people and putting them all together in class. Naturally, people with a long history of success want to continue to be successful. You don't get into medical school by being complacent and unambitious, you know?

I do think there is A LOT of peer pressure at CCLCM to excel, but that's not a bad thing. Competition has become such a dirty word, and if it's the kind of zero-sum competition that people tend to think of, then yeah, that's bad. But if it's the kind of competition that makes us all do better than we would have otherwise, isn't that a good thing? Like, maybe I don't feel like studying today. But then my classmate calls me up and says that a bunch of people are going over to school to review neuroanatomy, do I want to come too? Well, no, I don't feel like it. I hate neuroanatomy and would rather pull my fingernails out than go study it on Saturday. But there is always that little voice in the back of your head going, hmm, if everyone else is reviewing neuroanatomy today, maybe I should be too....and now all of us are pushing each other to do more and be better. And yeah, I passed neuroanatomy in spite of hating it. :cool:

As another example, one person applied for a fellowship for summer research, and then a bunch more of us applied for them too. So now maybe like a third to a half of the people in my class have research fellowships for this summer, and all of us will have better resumes than we would have otherwise.

This is the kind of thing that I mean when I say that we all push each other to be better students and work harder than we would otherwise. I think this kind of "competition" is awesome, and it's exactly how med school competition should be. Your goal in med school shouldn't be to have a laid-back, fun time. You want to get the most you can get from your education and to prepare yourself for residency and being a physician. That means you are going to have to work hard, even when you'd rather not be. That's when it's good to have classmates who will give you the necessary kick in the a$$.

CCLCMer

This is the sort of environment I was looking for. I know that you can't go through med school by being a slacker and thinking you will have the same amount of free time as you did in undergrad. However, I am leaning towards schools in which students tend to cooperate and where the competition tends to help out everyone. I just want to avoid schools that tend to have students that are unhappy and people tend to backstab each other as if it is a zero-sum game for them.

I also understand that every school will have a certain number of jerks who try to keep everyone else down but I am hoping to limit the # of jerks I come across. As for hanging out with the right group of students, sometimes you don't find out what is the right group for you since you will meet many of your classmates for the first time and not know their background and personalites.

CCLCMer

This is the sort of environment I was looking for. I know that you can't go through med school by being a slacker and thinking you will have the same amount of free time as you did in undergrad. However, I am leaning towards schools in which students tend to cooperate and where the competition tends to help out everyone. I just want to avoid schools that tend to have students that are unhappy and people tend to backstab each other as if it is a zero-sum game for them.

I also understand that every school will have a certain number of jerks who try to keep everyone else down but I am hoping to limit the # of jerks I come across. As for hanging out with the right group of students, sometimes you don't find out what is the right group for you since you will meet many of your classmates for the first time and not know their background and personalites.
Yeah, there are probably jerks at every school, and med school tends to bring out the worst in people sometimes. Med school is really stressful, and I think my program is about as much fun and low stress as med school can possibly be. But it's still a lot of work and it's still fairly stressful. I don't worry about my classmates trying to backstab me or anything like that. They're mostly all awesome people. But we still do compete, it's just that we have a system where all 32 of us can be winners and no one has to be in the bottom half of the class like Law2Doc said. I guess if you want to have an environment like this, you probably shouldn't go to a school with curved grades then. I think that kind of system tends to bring out the worst in most people.

Yeah, there are probably jerks at every school, and med school tends to bring out the worst in people sometimes. Med school is really stressful, and I think my program is about as much fun and low stress as med school can possibly be. But it's still a lot of work and it's still fairly stressful. I don't worry about my classmates trying to backstab me or anything like that. They're mostly all awesome people. But we still do compete, it's just that we have a system where all 32 of us can be winners and no one has to be in the bottom half of the class like Law2Doc said. I guess if you want to have an environment like this, you probably shouldn't go to a school with curved grades then. I think that kind of system tends to bring out the worst in most people.

Ha ha, it also tends to help Program Directors select applicants!

Consider Loyola. We are a happy bunch, that is for certain. I was going to say we are laid back, but then L2Ds comments would make my comment self-contradictory lol. Come walk around the campus and just observe the students for yourself. When I was on the interview trail, I did notice a bit of a culture difference at this school.

I've always heard that Loyola was pretty chill, just out of curiosity are you preclinical?

This sounds like a pretty ignorant question, but keep in mind it's coming from a guy whose undergrad didn't have grades:

Do most medical schools do the curve thing? Or is it straight up? Or do some do the thing where the highest grade in the class is set to 100% and results are based off that (which sounds pretty sweet)?

Just curious. The notion of other people's doing well having a role in my doing poorly seems alien to me. I might be up for a re-education...