culture in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted941290

What is the culture like in medical school? Obviously, everyone is supposed to be professional, but where do medical students draw the line between "fun" and "professional"? Are many students like the no-life/study all the time people in undergraduate?

Members don't see this ad.

Work hard play hard culture. No reason why you can’t grind and also get litty from time to time.

Reactions: 5 users
This probably varies from one medical school to another. At my school, most students seem to study a lot. A handful do almost nothing but study. Some students like to joke around and have a good time outside of class. Others like to be serious and cordial all the time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm interesting. i've seen those medical school parody music videos floating around on youtube- do med students really seem that "happy"?!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It's like high school all over again

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
hmmm interesting. i've seen those medical school parody music videos floating around on youtube- do med students really seem that "happy"?!
But that’s a music video for everyone to see. A news anchor can hate their job but still smiles in front of the camera. Or a school can select the most joyous students for you to contact during an interview day, while the gunners and those who tend to display less advertisable traits just aren’t shown.

Small class sizes (100-200), thus cliquey by nature but you usually know everyone at least by face as you pass them. Everyone is smart but still varying levels of very smart all competing for the same things (AOA, class rank, lor, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
You underestimate how much free time you have first/second year of med school. With the exception of anatomy, classes end by like 1pm (at least at my school). It’s not like undergrad where you have a ton of clubs, volunteering/work to attend. And if lecture isn’t mandatory and your school is pass/fail, you can legit be cruising for most of first year and some of second year and still be fine. Expect it to have a high school clique feel to it, but I mean that’s expected. People will form groups with others they get along with, some people have lives outside of school that they focus on and some people are loners. You will have a range from serious study all the time gunners to chill go with the flow people to going out all the time party people. All in all tho, everyone studies hard and except your free time to severely be cut down when you start clinicals.

A surprising amount of people in med school will party surprisingly hard

thanks for all the replies! puts my mind at ease that everyone in medical school are not just study robots

There's always a huge variety from what I've seen. You have people who are married and go home after class every day, people who study in the library until 9 PM, people who like to watch the Bachelor together on 1.5 speed at each other's houses, people with scholarships who take out a little bit of loan money to pop bottles in the club once a month... the list goes on.

Reactions: 2 users
There's always a huge variety from what I've seen. You have people who are married and go home after class every day, people who study in the library until 9 PM, people who like to watch the Bachelor together on 1.5 speed at each other's houses, people with scholarships who take out a little bit of loan money to pop bottles in the club once a month... the list goes on.

BIP FTW