Opinions on my Chances; Pharm School

Started by Samone
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Samone

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! So I am applying to multiple pharmacy schools for the 2018-2019 cycle. I am excited but I think that is just to cover up for my extreme anxiety. I had some trouble adjusting to undergrad my first year at UNC and received some less than acceptable marks in pre-calc and Anatomy and Physiology. I have since retaken these classes and gotten an A in pre-calc and a B- in A&P. Most of my prerequisites I have done well in (either an A or B in general bio and labs, general chem and labs, physics and labs, orgo and labs, etc.) I have improved my GPA from freshman year but it isn't a 4.0 because it is hard to recover to anything higher than 3.1 with those first year hiccups that I had. I have pharmacy experience, about 75 hours. I also got recommendation letters from two pharmacists and my organic chemistry professor. I am taking the PCAT in September and have no idea how I will do but I am using the Dr. Collins test prep packets. My main concern is how admissions looks at a below average GPA and classes that had to be repeated?
 
You'll probably be fine since you did better the second time you took those classes. If I were you, I would get more experience either my volunteering or working as a tech. Good luck.
 
Honestly upto my knowledge pharmacy is good career option. Various subject in pharmacy contain great knowledge and they have great applicability in public health. So, considering overall aspects the pharmacy field has GREAT scope today.

And scope increases day by day.


Hey everyone! So I am applying to multiple pharmacy schools for the 2018-2019 cycle. I am excited but I think that is just to cover up for my extreme anxiety. I had some trouble adjusting to undergrad my first year at UNC and received some less than acceptable marks in pre-calc and Anatomy and Physiology. I have since retaken these classes and gotten an A in pre-calc and a B- in A&P. Most of my prerequisites I have done well in (either an A or B in general bio and labs, general chem and labs, physics and labs, orgo and labs, etc.) I have improved my GPA from freshman year but it isn't a 4.0 because it is hard to recover to anything higher than 3.1 with those first year hiccups that I had. I have pharmacy experience, about 75 hours. I also got recommendation letters from two pharmacists and my organic chemistry professor. I am taking the PCAT in September and have no idea how I will do but I am using the Dr. Collins test prep packets. My main concern is how admissions looks at a below average GPA and classes that had to be repeated?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly upto my knowledge pharmacy is good career option. Various subject in pharmacy contain great knowledge and they have great applicability in public health. So, considering overall aspects the pharmacy field has GREAT scope today.

And scope increases day by day.

This wasn’t in response to the OP but whatever sources you are utilizing you need to look elsewhere.

Pharmacy is currently at it’s low marker as a good career option due to saturation, stagnant salary showing up in regions all the while tuition cost exceeding that of even MD/DO schools.

The scope you are referring to is suppose to be provider-status which for the last decade has not happened. If one knows how to off-set student loans and start off working outside any city area for a few years (with experience working in pharmacy) then it’s worth it. Outside of this, stay clear.
 
Hey everyone! So I am applying to multiple pharmacy schools for the 2018-2019 cycle. I am excited but I think that is just to cover up for my extreme anxiety. I had some trouble adjusting to undergrad my first year at UNC and received some less than acceptable marks in pre-calc and Anatomy and Physiology. I have since retaken these classes and gotten an A in pre-calc and a B- in A&P. Most of my prerequisites I have done well in (either an A or B in general bio and labs, general chem and labs, physics and labs, orgo and labs, etc.) I have improved my GPA from freshman year but it isn't a 4.0 because it is hard to recover to anything higher than 3.1 with those first year hiccups that I had. I have pharmacy experience, about 75 hours. I also got recommendation letters from two pharmacists and my organic chemistry professor. I am taking the PCAT in September and have no idea how I will do but I am using the Dr. Collins test prep packets. My main concern is how admissions looks at a below average GPA and classes that had to be repeated?

3.1 and a pulse should do for most schools now.
 
Why is this even a question anymore? All you need is that sweeet loan money to get into pharmacy school these days
This 100%. It's just about money. Any previous criteria has been thrown out the door as schools fight for the falling number of "students" willing to go to pharmacy school
 
Honestly upto my knowledge pharmacy is good career option. Various subject in pharmacy contain great knowledge and they have great applicability in public health. So, considering overall aspects the pharmacy field has GREAT scope today.

And scope increases day by day.

LOL

Those who said this back in 2010-2012 when they started school are the same ones dealing with the hour cuts and pay raise freezes today.

The realty is that going to pharmacy school does not make you much more accomplished than buying a car at sticker price. Pharmacy schools are getting desperate to fill their seats because tuition $$$, and will take just about anyone with a 2.5 GPA, 30 PCAT, and no work experience who can take out $200k+ in loans.
 
LOL

Those who said this back in 2010-2012 when they started school are the same ones dealing with the hour cuts and pay raise freezes today.

The realty is that going to pharmacy school does not make you much more accomplished than buying a car at sticker price. Pharmacy schools are getting desperate to fill their seats because tuition $$$, and will take just about anyone with a 2.5 GPA, 30 PCAT, and no work experience who can take out $200k+ in loans.

I agree with you except about the GPA and PCAT. They will take ANYONE that can secure federal loan money for them. I mean ANYONE. I could tell you horror stories from the deans I have talked to but I don't want to get anyone in trouble.