Opinions on my wife's job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ka6767

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife lost her job 2 months ago as part of a staff reduction/budget cutting process with the hospital system with which she was employed. She's been on a job search since then.

She has a verbal offer from a FQHC in the city where we live but they are only offering 3 days with benefits until the patient load allows my wife to work 4 days which is considered full time at this clinic. The medical director estimates it will take 6 months before she can go to 4 days. My wife has a follow-up meeting which I will be allowed to attend and I hope to be able to better access the likelyhood of my wife getting 4 days in the near future. She can start in January at this job.

My wife recently had a telephone interview with another FQHC in a desireable city out of state. My wife liked the job parameters as described to her. Apparently they liked my wife so much that after completing a background check, they offered her a LOI and work contract without ever interviewing her face-to-face and were asking for the signed contract back by Thanksgiving. We're working with a recruiter on this particular job offer and he suggests we sign the letter of intent but not the work contract until we visit which we'd do mid-December. I agree 100% with his suggestion.

I'm not in the medical field so I'm asking your opinions on doing the following. My wife begins work at the local FQHC in January as well as signs the work contract for the out of state position and applies for the medical license in that state which will take about 3 - 4 months to obtain. Some point next spring determine whether continue with the local job or move to the position out of state.

It seems unethical to my wife and I to sign a work contract without being fully committed to making the move. Are there any possible ramifications by signing the contract and not eventually moving ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

She could be in breach of contract. Whether you care or not should be informed by a qualified attorney.

Not that you asked but that they are willing to hire her without an interview smells of desperation on their part. Caveat emptor.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems weird for you to attend your wife’s follow up job meeting. Just sayin.... was this something you pushed for? - because it would set off red alerts if I were the hiring medical director (which I have been).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with both of the above responses. It seems weird that they would be willing to sign without an interview and I wonder what you're not seeing. Especially since they are insisting you sign it so soon. Remember the interview process is as much for you (your wife) as it is for the potential employer. Something smells fishy with that.

I also agree it's odd to have a non medical spouse attend an interview. It does sound like you guys are pushed to get some consistent income, so I don't know what's best here. How much is the salary difference with only 3 days a week? Is the practice willing to aid her in establishing patients? How is the practice otherwise? I would want something concrete in writing as to what parameters have to be met to get 4 days.

I can't tell from the OP if the OP half of the couple is going along on the interview to see the city and maybe have dinner with some people from the organization or actually going to *the interview*. The former is fairly common I think and would not be a red flag. The latter would definitely be setting off alarm bells for me.

I agree that signing and employment contract sight unseen seems unusual and concerning.