Opinions on r/premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedStudent55555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently felt that SDN is starting to get less posts and r/premed has rose in terms of subscribers and daily posts. Was wondering how some people felt about that here? Do you think this is the case?

Members don't see this ad.

There definitely seems to be more posts on /premed but questions are often referred to sdn because we have active Adcom/faculty members and school specific threads

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
r/premed's people are smarter than our people. They're beating us on neurotic WAMC posts. They're beating us on Caribbean-bashing. And worst of all, they're beating us on memes. Frankly, it's a total disaster, and the entire Reddit community is laughing at us. When I become the head moderator of SDN, we're going to have the #1 pre-medical forum again, believe me.

• Haha
Reactions: 36 users
r/premed's people are smarter than our people. They're beating us on neurotic WAMC posts. They're beating us on Caribbean-bashing. And worst of all, they're beating us on memes. Frankly, it's a total disaster, and the entire Reddit community is laughing at us. When I become the head moderator of SDN, we're going to have the #1 pre-medical forum again, believe me.
Make SDN Great Again!!

Reactions: 11 users
I use r/premed when I want to be told that my 512 and 3.6 will get me into Hopkins with a full ride. I go to SDN when I want to be told I’ll be packing my sunscreen with these stats.

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
I go to r/premed for the memes and the camaraderie.

I go to SDN so @Goro can tell me my poop doesn't smell like roses after all.

Reactions: 4 users
From my experiences, people on SDN are a little more neurotic, uptight, and egotistic. However, there are really good experienced faculty and members who provide solid advice.

Reactions: 2 users
There is surprisingly a large wealth of valuable information outside of the premed forums. That and an excellent supportive community are what make SDN popular.

Contrary to what people believe, premed forums don't define SDN. Yes they are popular but a lot of common questions can be answered readily by looking into regularly updated directories that are stickied.

I think the structure of reddit is probably better suited to internet communication nowadays (read: better memes) than SDN, which is based on the traditional forum model from the early 2000s. For example, there's a pretty standard way to make a wiki, a much better thread management system, and an upvote/like system which is less cliquey than SDN often is. But SDN's age gives it a lot of things that reddit can't really compete with (yet), like the presence of many med school faculty/adcoms. The community on SDN may be better right now, but Premmedit has gotten exponentially better in just a couple of years. Aside from adcoms on SDN and the school specific threads, I think reddit is probably going to become a more and more popular place for premeds to get information.

I actually think the upvote/downvote system can be detrimental because if someone posts some harsh truth that the group doesn’t like, it can get pushed down or hidden.

Reactions: 7 users
I liked r/premed but chose to stop using it. (I’m actually trying to stop using Reddit in general.) It has pretty good information, but every couple of months—or even weeks depending on the time of year— a bunch of threads complaining about URMs, and I just got tired of it. So, I just stick to SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
I like both, but SDN is better. r/premed is mainly premeds advising other premeds while SDN has a much greater variety of posters.

I'm a big fan of reddit in general- the format tends to work better for content than traditional forums. Not a big fan of r/premed in particular though. Wayyyyy too many memes. It doesn't help that all the memes get upvoted and you have to dig deep to find any actual questions or opinions. I mean I like memes as much as the next person, but geez I don't need to see an entire page of poorly put together premed ones every day. Loved the r/MCAT subreddit though- it was super helpful.