Opinions on SCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up in this college. what kind of questions do they ask? What do you think about this college. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

no one knows anything about scholl???????

Scholl college has an excellent program...definately one of the strongest. The faculty are all great teachers and very friendly. The curriculum schedule is very challenging but very rewarding. Many of the classes are intergrated w/ the medical school and/or other programs at teh university. The clinics are very nice and great exposure esp when on downtonw rotations. The program is continually progressing and I am confident it will always be very competative. Please let me know if you have more specific questions regarding the program.

Remember, there is more than the school's reputation you must consider when deciding on where to go. After you visit/interview I am sure you will find the school which will be the best for you. Good luck! I would highly suggest SCPM, Des Moines (CPMS), and Temple...all are great programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have quite a few questions about Scholl.

What is the cost of living like in Chicago compared to the other cities?

I read on their website about after your first year you can be awarded a B.S. in Biology, how easy is that to obtain, do alot of people do that?

Why would you choose to go to Scholl over the others?

Whats their surgical residency placement rate like?

Dmayor22 said:
I have quite a few questions about Scholl.

What is the cost of living like in Chicago compared to the other cities?

I read on their website about after your first year you can be awarded a B.S. in Biology, how easy is that to obtain, do alot of people do that?

Why would you choose to go to Scholl over the others?

Whats their surgical residency placement rate like?

Cost of living is not too bad, but I moved from Lake Tahoe so of course it was cheaper. I pay around $975 for a 2 bdrm apt w/ garage in gurnee,IL. Gas is about $2.49/gal and grocery is average.

It is very easy to obtain your BS in biology...i did and many of my classmate have also.

I chose SCPM because it is a great school and I felt really comfortable there. I think that is a hard question to answer, esp because I do not want to give off the vibe that SCPM is better than any other school etc...there are many great schools (Iowa, Temple...) and knowing what i do know now about my education etc I wouldn't change a thing and would still have chosen SCPM. I am very happy here.

All residencies these days are surgical...or soon will be (PM&S 24 or 36). SCPM has very good placement, but do do all schools esp now since there are way more programs then students.

please let me know if i can answer anymore q's for you...good luck

Ski Bum said:
Cost of living is not too bad, but I moved from Lake Tahoe so of course it was cheaper. I pay around $975 for a 2 bdrm apt w/ garage in gurnee,IL. Gas is about $2.49/gal and grocery is average.

It is very easy to obtain your BS in biology...i did and many of my classmate have also.

I chose SCPM because it is a great school and I felt really comfortable there. I think that is a hard question to answer, esp because I do not want to give off the vibe that SCPM is better than any other school etc...there are many great schools (Iowa, Temple...) and knowing what i do know now about my education etc I wouldn't change a thing and would still have chosen SCPM. I am very happy here.

All residencies these days are surgical...or soon will be (PM&S 24 or 36). SCPM has very good placement, but do do all schools esp now since there are way more programs then students.

please let me know if i can answer anymore q's for you...good luck

I spoke with the director of residency placement(or some director that keeps stats on residency) and she said that 16 percent of last years class took a three year residency spots. The rest got at least 2 years. They have an excellent research program for podiatry, far better than the other schools. I think it is and will be a great school.

Oncogene

Oncogene

A few other generic questions for yall. What is the dress code like at most of the schools, what do most of the students wear to class?

What about the Barry Program...I never hear much about it, is it considered subpar, not as great as the others or what?

For any students..how many hours do most of the students spend studying, is it as much most med school students, a little less, the same or what?

Dmayor22 said:
A few other generic questions for yall. What is the dress code like at most of the schools, what do most of the students wear to class?

What about the Barry Program...I never hear much about it, is it considered subpar, not as great as the others or what?

For any students..how many hours do most of the students spend studying, is it as much most med school students, a little less, the same or what?

There are some things that I really, realy like about the Barry program. I interviewed there first and actually thought about not interviewing anywhere else. In the end, I decided to interview at one other place and save the rest of my travel money and use it for my deposit. The only bad thing about it is the current facilities are a little old, but the School of Graduate Medical Sciences is building a new building on the other side of the campus right now. So, in a couple of years, the facilities will be the most modern of any of the schools. OK, I guess you might have to worry about hurricanes every now and then as well (the school is closed the week because of the last one) but that really doesn't happen all that often. I also like the fact that you can get a MS degree in Biological Sciences after your first two years of class. You just have to take a test. There are all the advantages of being a part of a university as well. The recreational and dining facilities are fabulous, and the campus is like a tropical paradise.

The opportunities are pretty good if you want to stay in Florida also. A pretty large percentage of aging baby-boomers are retiring there, so the patient base is huge. Let's not forget that medicine is still a business. There are plenty of opportunities there. Plus, the scope of practice in Florida is pretty large. You can treet the bones up to the knee and the soft tissues right up to the hip. You can't get anywhere close to that in my home state. The professors, staff members, and students that I met there were simply wonderful.

There's also an opportunity to earn your MBA at the very same time if you so choose. If you don't have the business prereqs, you'll have to come to a summer school session before podiatry classes start. Otherwise, you can have a DPM/MBA in four years. Where else can you get that? There is a little added cost, but the scholarship they offered me will more than cover it, and then some. Speaking of costs...they are pretty reasonable too. The tuition and expenses are not really bad at all. Besides, I hate snow. You don't have to worry about snow that much in South Florida.

oncogene said:
I spoke with the director of residency placement(or some director that keeps stats on residency) and she said that 16 percent of last years class took a three year residency spots. The rest got at least 2 years. They have an excellent research program for podiatry, far better than the other schools. I think it is and will be a great school.

Oncogene

Oncogene

DMU placed 100% of the most recent grads in 3 yr residencies. They place 96% of the previous year in 3 yr surgicals.

chang said:
I have an interview coming up in this college. what kind of questions do they ask? What do you think about this college. Any help would be greatly appreciated

When is your inteview at SCPM?

I'm interviewing at Scholl in a couple of weeks and in the interview invite email it says that the day ends with a "wrap-up meeting with a senior admissions officer".

Does anyone know if they give you their decision right then and there?? That would be pretty sweet.

jt5prime23 said:
I'm interviewing at Scholl in a couple of weeks and in the interview invite email it says that the day ends with a "wrap-up meeting with a senior admissions officer".

Does anyone know if they give you their decision right then and there?? That would be pretty sweet.

When I interviewed, both Scholl and OCPM told me the same day as my interview and offered me a scholarship. Temple sent me an offer in the mail.

chang said:
no one knows anything about scholl???????

I interviewed at the Dr. Scholls school in Chicago and it was amazging. I interviewd at Ohio, Iowa, and Temple, and none of them even come close. Scholl has an incredible facility, amazing anatomy and gait lab, and their curriculum is well integrated with the RFU medical school. But the best part about Scholl, from what I learned at the interview, is that their whole misson is to emphasis the "healthcare team" and how each profession is essential. This is why in their clinic you will see MD's, DPM's, PA's, PT's, and nurses. And everyone works together as a team, rather than keeping distance b/c my degree is better than yours BS.
If you havent interviewd at Scholl yet, then you are missing out. I cant imagine anyone considering a career in podiatry without checking out Scholl. Oh and by the way, not everyone gets in like what others have been saying. For the 2005 entering class, they recieved 550 applicants, sent out 150 interview invitations, and accepted only 86. So good luck to all!!!

scorpion4lif said:
I interviewed at the Dr. Scholls school in Chicago and it was amazging. I interviewd at Ohio, Iowa, and Temple, and none of them even come close. Scholl has an incredible facility, amazing anatomy and gait lab, and their curriculum is well integrated with the RFU medical school. But the best part about Scholl, from what I learned at the interview, is that their whole misson is to emphasis the "healthcare team" and how each profession is essential. This is why in their clinic you will see MD's, DPM's, PA's, PT's, and nurses. And everyone works together as a team, rather than keeping distance b/c my degree is better than yours BS.
If you havent interviewd at Scholl yet, then you are missing out. I cant imagine anyone considering a career in podiatry without checking out Scholl. Oh and by the way, not everyone gets in like what others have been saying. For the 2005 entering class, they recieved 550 applicants, sent out 150 interview invitations, and accepted only 86. So good luck to all!!!
Congrats on your acceptance. You sound very excited. It's a good school.