Opinions On themilitaryphysician.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madiso30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into military medicine for some years now. Sdn has been my main tool and despite the well discussed negatives, I am still interested.

I just came across this website and it seems to be pretty optimistic towards military medicine while maintaining a healthy dose of reality. Anyone have experience with this site and can comment on its legitimacy?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd never heard of it until you posted it. It looks like it's written by a couple who both did USUHS and military residencies.

I'd say: all perspectives are generally useful perspectives. Just understand where they're coming from, and how broad-based they are, and that experiences may vary.

One one hand, the blog is written ostensibly by two military physicians. They have insight and experience, at least to some extent, as they're out of residency and practicing.

On the other hand, it's only two people, they live together so they're likely to have the same or similar opinions, and they admit to being very optimistic about everything.

You'll find people like that here, too. Just not as many. You'll find people like that in the military too...just, from my experience, not as many....

If you're interested in reading it, and assimilating it into a body of knowledge you've obtained from a variety of sources, I think you're doing the right thing. If you want to use it as a bible because it's what you want to hear about milmed, then that's a mistake. That's also true of SDN, btw. There's just more voices here.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a horrible website! :ninja:

To be honest though, almost a year ago I got sidelined by board collection, new roles at my current billet, and also local social media policy requiring extensive review by JAG, PAO, etc.

I have "The Military Physician series" penned offline but I'm not able to publish as of yet. It is a 5-10 article series going through the positives and negatives of Milmed and will function as a standalone high-yield resource for those considering serving. The "blog" was a personal thing I wanted to do for some time but it of course is not applicable to everyone. But, as @HighPriest mentions, the website is only crowd sourced by myself, wife, some of our USUHS classmates, HPSP friends and our current local colleagues. It does not represent all of Milmed and has a heavy weight towards NAVY and what we know. Our content is our own and not affiliated with anything DoD.

In many ways the delay has been good as it has given me more time to compile realistic views/opinions/ideas from the regulars on SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And he posts here, so there's no reason to read his blog.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the responses @HighPriest and @militaryPHYS.

I just wanted to make sure the website was a good source of info. So far I have really enjoyed reading it.

@militaryPHYS do you mind if I PM you some questions about the Navy?