Opinions quickly Please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeOrtho

Surgery Go'er
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Alright, might be switching to a 4 year university. I have 1 week before community college starts, and might switch to a 4 year before.

I was going to be a Nursing major, but I may switch to a Chemistry major.
Do medical schools like people with a chemistry major over a nurse major?

Need opinions quickly.

Justin

Members don't see this ad.

WannabeOrtho said:
Hello,

Alright, might be switching to a 4 year university. I have 1 week before community college starts, and might switch to a 4 year before.

I was going to be a Nursing major, but I may switch to a Chemistry major.
Do medical schools like people with a chemistry major over a nurse major?

Need opinions quickly.

Justin

I'm no pro, but I would definetely think med schools would look highly upon either of those degrees. Chemistry is a HARD major. Tons of calculus! YUCK!!!! BUt, it also shows lots of smarts and determination. Nursing, is by no means an easy degree to ascertain, however, be careful...We had one med school Dean of Admissions come to our school (U of U i think) who said that he would not even consider a nurse as an applicant becasue of the nursing shortage already in place, but I personally find that to be crap! I work with a bunch of nurses and respect each and every one of them a ton. It would be cool RN, MD/DO Plus, you hit clinicals outta the park. Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Acceptance rates for Chemistry >> Nursing
Nursing is more of a specialized degree rather than a background science degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am switching to the 4 year university. I'm thinking a major in chemistry, and do my pre-med classes at the sametime. I am in a frenzy rightnow cause I was going to the CC for Pre-Nursing(doing basics), but was sitting here thinking well hmm.. so I am switching tomarrow, it definitely will be a big frenzy getting orientation, and classes registered, and everything again. Plus the 4 year is 15mins away. I am kind of wondering what kind of job a bachelors in chemistry could get though, I am determined to go to med school but was just curious for that "what if". Can you tell I am typing quickly, kind of nervous switching so quickly too, but I am ready!

Since you aren't really sure what you want to do maybe you should take some classes at the CC this fall and switch to the 4year next term. You could take classes that will transfer to OU. You are talking about OU, right?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend nursing as the pre-reqs are different for nursing than for doctoring. Nurses take a different bio and chem series so you'd end up taking some redundant courses. If you have no intention of actually working as a nurse I would let someone else have your spot. There are typically waiting lists to get into nursing programs.

In any case, you shouldn't have to pick your major right now.

hoberto said:
Since you aren't really sure what you want to do maybe you should take some classes at the CC this fall and switch to the 4year next term. You could take classes that will transfer to OU. You are talking about OU, right?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend nursing as the pre-reqs are different for nursing than for doctoring. Nurses take a different bio and chem series so you'd end up taking some redundant courses. If you have no intention of actually working as a nurse I would let someone else have your spot. There are typically waiting lists to get into nursing programs.

In any case, you shouldn't have to pick your major right now.

I am. That's exactly what I am doing is letting someone else have my spot. I am pretty sure of what I want to do. I want to be a doctor. Tomarrow I am switching from the CC to a 4 year university, I have been accepted to it before but wasn't sure, but am now. Tell them my major will be Chemistry, and also to take my pre-med classes, and be a done deal.

from what i hear, med schools don't really care what major you are as long as you do all your pre-med requirements. moreover, they actually like diversity, so i don't see how being a chemistry major will be more of a benefit. personally, i would find nursing to be much more interesting, so i would enjoying studying it more and probably do better. unless you have a genuine interest in chemistry, i would major in something that makes you happy. i know plenty of english and philosophy majors that got into med school, and plenty of biology majors that didn't.

you always change your major later. Chemistry is fine for now. You could go get a BA in Spanish and complete premed prereqs to apply to med school. Just choose a major you find interesting as has been suggested to you many times.

undergrad + med school = 8 years + postgrad training

undergrad + chem phd program = about 7-8 years. no need to get a master's degree, usually more free time than med school (intern and 3rd year especially) and you get paid during your phd training instead of graduating with $150k+ in debt. Just a suggestion since you seem ready to go to med school for 8 years and wanted options. You could always go into nursing as well.

Not sure if you are thinking along these lines but majoring in science is not a huge bonus when it comes to MCAT prep:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/mcatgpabymaj1.htm

WannabeOrtho said:
I am. That's exactly what I am doing is letting someone else have my spot. I am pretty sure of what I want to do. I want to be a doctor. Tomarrow I am switching from the CC to a 4 year university, I have been accepted to it before but wasn't sure, but am now. Tell them my major will be Chemistry, and also to take my pre-med classes, and be a done deal.

Just curious....How much experience do you actually have in chemistry? I was just thinking. Pre-med chemistries are a lot different/harder than the chemistry classes offered to the nursing students. Gen chem and Orgo are a lot more involved than most classes, let alone physical and analytical chemistries etc. I just don't want you to bite off more than you can chew? then again if you are a calculus wiz, go for it. You will do awesome! I persoanlly hate calculus w/ a passion!!!!

LOL! I am pretty math oriented. With my father being somewhat of an accounting major. I may switch from that though, I feel like I would enjoy Biology so much more. Now some of you may do the usual, "you are pretty confused better sit, and think alittle bit." I am a spur of the moment person, I think my offical major will either be Chemistry, or Biology. Honestly I don't think either one will be "impossible" I will just have to put this head god has given me to use. I will update tomarrow about everything. =)

WannabeOrtho said:
LOL! I am pretty math oriented. With my father being somewhat of an accounting major. I may switch from that though, I feel like I would enjoy Biology so much more. Now some of you may do the usual, "you are pretty confused better sit, and think alittle bit." I am a spur of the moment person, I think my offical major will either be Chemistry, or Biology. Honestly I don't think either one will be "impossible" I will just have to put this head god has given me to use. I will update tomarrow about everything. =)[/QUOT

WELL, WHATEVER YA DO WORK HARD AND IT WILL ALL GET YOU TO THE SAME PLACE, MED SCHOOL. GOOD LUCK MAN!

Study as a major something that you will enjoy, because med school is full of bio and chem majors. those alone will not impress them. I would add in, study something that has a decent job placement or a professional licence in the unlikely event that you decide against med school. Many people here forget that fact.

Vox Animo said:
Study as a major something that you will enjoy, because med school is full of bio and chem majors. those alone will not impress them. I would add in, study something that has a decent job placement or a professional licence in the unlikely event that you decide against med school. Many people here forget that fact.

great adivce.

I also do not think one is favored more than the other. remember, when you apply, it is the combination of all your efforts, not your major.

GOOD LUCK!