Opinions

lily23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been interested in Optometry for over ten years, and I've been preparing for the future profession for over three. I've worked at a private practice optometrists office since 2006, and I have over 100 hours of observation time (commercial, hospital, private practice, etc). I've taken the OAT twice now, the first time I got below 300 in three sections. I just took it again and now have a AA of 310.

QR: 300
BIO: 330
CHM: 300
OCM: 270
PHY: 310
RC: 310
TS: 310
AA: 310

I studied for over two months for this, using MCAT study guides, OAT study guides, full-length practice exams, etc. I even went to tutors for Physics and O chem. I've been passionate about this profession for so long and I feel like it's about to just be taken from me. The scores are better than how I did before, but the AA is the same. I've made the decision to not take the OAT again unless I don't get in this year. I'm struggling with what to do. My overall GPA is a 3.0 as well. I had a medical issue my freshman year, and I didn't know that I could pull out of the university for a semester while getting care. Right now my last 45 credit GPA (the system Pacific uses) is a 3.7. So it's obvious that I've had a large upward trend in grades within the last few years, its just hard coming back from a freshman year like mine. I've made the dean's list as well.

I've also worked almost full-time for the last few years while being a full-time student.

I've done so much research on the schools that I applied to, and I've worked so hard for this. I do already have an interview scheduled at St. Louis, and I'm just wondering what you all think about my chances of getting more interviews. Also, if St. Louis is the only interview I do get, what do you think my chances are of getting accepted to the school?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on getting an interview @ st. louis!
I feel like I am on a similar boat as you. I took the OATs this past sept, and got under 300 in 4 sections...and my overall gpa is about 3.0. I'm planning to take the OATs again next month. I know I'm not in school yet nor get asked for interviews, but I think that if you do well during the interview, you probably have a good chance, since grades and test scores aren't everything. I mean I heard many stories where people with lower than a 3.0 gpa avg, and so-so scores got into different schools. I think it all depends on the person and how much you can sell yourself to the interviewers..

GOOD LUCK AND KILL IT ON YOUR INTERVIEW DAY! & I HOPE YOU GET MORE INTERVIEWS ON YOUR WAY!...

I HOPE I GET AT LEAST ONE!

Lily, where are you from? That could make a difference in your chances of getting accepted because I think UMSL reserves some seats for in-state applicants / has contract seats for other states (although I'm not sure which ones). Maybe someone else can verify this.
Where else did you apply?

I'm from Wisconsin. I applied to Pacific, SCO, and ICO as well. I also forgot to mention that I've had leadership positions throughout the years in my sorority as well. I've taken on a lot at the same time.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

Also, I think St. Louis has a contract with the University of Nebraska. I was born there, but don't go there ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lily, the fact that you have such a major upward trend is a HUGE plus on your part. I think UMSL puts less emphasis on OAT scores (based on the averages of their entering classes), so that is also in your favor. The average OAT score was about 330 for the entering class of 2009, so roughly half the class was below that (assuming a normal distribution).

As a general statement, most admissions committees consider the applicant as a whole. So, while your scores won't necessarily shoot you to the top of the class, they probably won't shut you out either.

Since UMSL interviews open file, you'll have the opportunity to explain the issues you've had. You should be as forthcoming about your situation as possible, without making it sound like you're making excuses. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your input. I've worked so hard for this, and I just needed to hear that there is still a chance for people like me. I know I have a unique situation, so it's refreshing to hear the information everyone has given me.

The plan is to get accepted this year, and if I don't, just keep trying. I've had a passion for this for the greater majority of my life, so I'm going to do whatever it takes to make it a reality.

:)

Thanks so much for your input. I've worked so hard for this, and I just needed to hear that there is still a chance for people like me. I know I have a unique situation, so it's refreshing to hear the information everyone has given me.

The plan is to get accepted this year, and if I don't, just keep trying. I've had a passion for this for the greater majority of my life, so I'm going to do whatever it takes to make it a reality.

:)

That is exactly the kind of attitude that will help lead you to success! :thumbup:
Good luck, and even though your stats are on the low side, they still should give you a reasonable shot, especially considering the upward trend in your grades. The thing I am most impressed with is your strong desire for optometry; hopefully that will shine through in any interviews and/or LOR's. And yes, if worst comes to worst you can always keep working to improve and try again the next cycle. In that event, your determination should pay off.

Lily, the fact that you have such a major upward trend is a HUGE plus on your part. I think UMSL puts less emphasis on OAT scores (based on the averages of their entering classes), so that is also in your favor. The average OAT score was about 330 for the entering class of 2009, so roughly half the class was below that (assuming a normal distribution).

As a general statement, most admissions committees consider the applicant as a whole. So, while your scores won't necessarily shoot you to the top of the class, they probably won't shut you out either.

Since UMSL interviews open file, you'll have the opportunity to explain the issues you've had. You should be as forthcoming about your situation as possible, without making it sound like you're making excuses. Good luck!
Plus, the entering class of 2009 was scored on the old OAT scale, so that 330 average equates to about a 310 on the new OAT scale, which should work in your favor. However, I'm not sure how much admissions committees are taking that into account this year.

I can't wait to see the numbers when ASCO releases the profile of the 2010 entering class to see if the schools lowered their average OAT scores or not. Unfortunately, that's a year away.