opportunites beyond the "Pharm.D" ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student 0101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey! :) I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student, and ill be graduating with a Pharm.D.

i was wondering if anyone knows about the different graduate programs available to pharmacy students ( MBA, JD, MS). I would certainly like to continue my education if that meant better/more interesting oppurtunities once i graduated... i just dont want to be in a situation where i get my JD and then never use my pharmacy license.:confused:

Does any one know about different fields in pharmacy that require business degrees? law degrees? Does any one know someone with a pharm.D and an additional degree?

Members don't see this ad.

i was wondering if anyone knows about the different graduate programs available to pharmacy students ( MBA, JD, MS). I would certainly like to continue my education if that meant better/more interesting oppurtunities once i graduated... i just dont want to be in a situation where i get my JD and then never use my pharmacy license.:confused:

Does any one know about different fields in pharmacy that require business degrees? law degrees? Does any one know someone with a pharm.D and an additional degree?

Sure! You can do all of these - but they are very different from each other. I know people who are pharmacists who have gone on to get all of the degrees you mention.

But, you have to ask yourself - do you have an interest in law, business????

There are probably resources at your school. Have you talked to your advisor?

I did an internship with a pharmaceutical company and met a pharmacist/JD on staff. She worked on a lot of stuff with the FDA and labeling of products, and some other work with contracts and other legal matters. Salary info was pretty tight lipped there, but if I were to guess I would definitely say she made over $130K - maybe significantly more.
If you are interested in law or business, it may help you if you want a job with a pharmaceutical company, or if you decide to go independent and open a store. Consider the financial impact of another 3 years of graduate school, when you can instead go into a residency that focuses on management.:)

Members don't see this ad :)

I used to work for a drug manufacturer, and most of the executive positions were filled by people who have law degrees, though I don't know how many of them had the pharm.D as well. I guess all I can say is that a law degree is great for executives procuring rights to manufacture drugs...

At my school we can earn a couple of different joint degrees: MPA, MBA, and coming soon an MPH. I think we can also earn a certificate in gerontology. One of our professors is a PharmD/JD. He represents pharmacists against their state boards: fines, loss of license cases, etc. His job sounds pretty interesting.

in response to an earlier question, yea, i definitely have an interest in both business as well as law, even prior to entering pharmacy school.

Both fields, however, are different and I am not getting enough information at my school to really have a good idea of what kind of jobs/positions are out there for someone with a pharm.D and an MBA, for example.

Our professors complain that we are too focused on going into Retail but at the same time, thats really what they are preparing us for, and its frustrating for me -- because, i cant get enough information about further education, and the wide spectrum of "other" things pharmacists can do...

in response to an earlier question, yea, i definitely have an interest in both business as well as law, even prior to entering pharmacy school.

Both fields, however, are different and I am not getting enough information at my school to really have a good idea of what kind of jobs/positions are out there for someone with a pharm.D and an MBA, for example.

Our professors complain that we are too focused on going into Retail but at the same time, thats really what they are preparing us for, and its frustrating for me -- because, i cant get enough information about further education, and the wide spectrum of "other" things pharmacists can do...

Well - your professors are in good company here - far too many feel retail is the first & only place to go without pursuing other avenues.

Good luck & take advantage of many, many opportunities out there. If your professors (aka - your advisor) is of a mindset to expand your thinking - take advantage of their insight into what's available in your area.

However - the world is small - think of moving to anywhere!

Here is my 2 cents. An MBA in retail will most likely fast track you to district manager etc. In the pharmaceutical industry there are a lot of different business orientated opportunities (go to Biospace.com and search MBA in the job section to see). The hard part is getting your foot in the door. I know a lot of people from the pharmaceutical industry that get JD's go into patent law. That could be an option. There is a lot of money in that. Hope this helps.