Opportunities for PharmD and writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chocobiscotti

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've always been told that I have a way with words and I completed a bachelor's degree in the humanities. I'm curious as to what a PharmD can do in industry that also integrates good writing skills. I appreciate any help you can offer because it's been difficult to find mentors in industry...thanks!
 
I had a mentor at Express Scripts in Minneapolis, MN last year who is a Pharm.D. She helps develop the formulary for the company. She does research on new drugs and writes clinical reports that help decide if they should be included on the formulary. I got to see some of the reports she wrote and go to a meeting about some of the drugs they were discussing. It was really interesting, because I had never thought of a Pharm.D. doing that sort of work.
 
There is a whole sector of medical writing. Basically, it is writing drafts of all kinds of medical documents and materials. PharmDs tend to be more in managerial/supervisory roles in such companies, just because of high salaries PharmD commands, though.

Also, medical information in industry (where you can try to get into straight out of school or via an industry fellowship) or drug information in hospitals (where you can do a residency, I think many are now PGY-2 but there are still some that chose to forsake ASHP accreditation in order to keep taking students straight out of pharmacy school) both involve a lot of writing.