Opportunities for PT's outside of typical practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amaliahirsch

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in knowing if anyone is familiar with job opportunities for physical therapists outside of the typical rehab setting. I am a first year PT student in a DPT program in Miami and I have a more recent back injury to my L4,L5 (the fluid in both discs is gone) and my professors are not only encouraging me to take time off from school to deal with the pain and such, but are giving me the impression that I will be limited in the way that I practice once I do graduate. I feel very discouraged; I worked really hard to get to PT school and I am in pain every day because of my back from all the sitting in class, studying, and commuting. I don't want to lose my future career over this, but I also am realistic and will not sacrifice my health. SO, what other opportunities are there for DPT's other than hand's on outpatient/inpatient work? Am I wasting my time in this program?

Helpppp
 
certain setting will require different levels of physical involvement...if you work in an outpatient orthopedic center, you may have to do less heavy lifting with transfers and stuff like that, but in exchange you might be doing more manual treatments such as soft tissue and joint mobs...can your back handle that stuff? also there is always the option of practicing for a few years and then trying to go into education?