opportunities for research abroad??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottomlesspit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i remain undecided about gen surg, but regardless, i am planning to take a year off inbetween years 3-4 of medical school to strengthen my application towards whatever specialty i decide. right now, gen surgery is probably 49.5% and med/peds is 50.5%. i am almost pathologically indecisive ... sigh ...

i've been told i should do research work if i want to go into general surgery. coming from a pure liberal arts background, i'm definitely lacking in that area and would choose clinical over basic science/bench work any day. so during my year off, i would like to do research work, but would also like to travel (last big trip before residency -- woo wooo!).

sooo ... does anyone know of any international institutions (preferably in africa, s. or s.e. asia, or maybe s. america) where i could do research work in a surgical field there that would still be respected here in the states?

many thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

almost pathologically indecisive ... sigh ...

That's a good indication right there that surgery might not be the place for you.

But to answer your question - I don't know of any way you can conduct research to improve your GS application in an exotic vacation locale. The value of research is to find a mentor who will call his old drinking buddy who is the chairman at X and say "Bob's a good guy; you should hire him" and Dr. Chairman will say "OK". Those people don't exist in Bhutan or Jamaica.

look into project hope. or doctors without borders. other such organizations that are set up to do what you want to do.

and if this is not offered, ask attendings/mentors whose lives you respect at your (or neighboring) institutution(s). they often will have much to offer.