Opportunities from PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Medstart108

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a resident in a surgical specialty considering doing a PhD (4 yr) during residency in a basic science/translational lab. It is done by surgical residents in the past, but i'm wondering from those who have wet lab experience, what are the side benefits of doing a PhD other than running your own lab? I've never worked in a wet lab, only have done clinical research, but I've been pretty jaded by clinical research and I just don't enjoy it enough to want to really make it a big part of my career (I still enjoy it enough to make it a small part of my career though, a lot of doctors publish papers here and there but don't like run big clinical trials etc). Truthfully, I don't necessarily see myself running my own lab in the future as I want to be a good operative surgeon and I don't think I have time to do both well. I do see myself doing research (clinical and translational) and also doing something academic, like device development and/or implementation or even admin related like bringing in technologies, working with device companies etc. Does working in a wet lab have any sort of side benefits apart from running your own lab?
 
Basically no. The PhD is a waste of time, particularly wet lab, if you will not use it afterwards. If you want to invent new devices then get a proper BioE PhD and work for somewhere like Medtronic. You do not need a PhD to try out devices that are already invented and are in clinical trials
 
Basically no. The PhD is a waste of time, particularly wet lab, if you will not use it afterwards. If you want to invent new devices then get a proper BioE PhD and work for somewhere like Medtronic. You do not need a PhD to try out devices that are already invented and are in clinical trials

Would you be able to get a BioE PhD without an engineering background? What about a masters in BioE?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Engineering graduate programs, to my knowledge, generally require at least some form of engineering undergraduate program. I would be very surprised if one accepted you without that background (regardless of which engineering field it is from).

Source: I am a graduate of a Biomedical Engineering undergraduate program and am applying to MD-PhDs (specifically BiomedE PhDs).
 
Like @Argzero mentioned it’ll be difficult to get into even a BME masters degree w/o some prior engineering experience(or closely related - decent mastery of computational techniques, etc).

Honestly OP from your description, a masters would honestly be sufficient for your career goals. But even that’s not really necessary. If you can secure a 2-3 yr block of protected research time during your surgical residency and work in a translational BME lab (preferably one that interfaces w/ surgery a lot), you’ll gain the skills you want w/o having to take a bunch of coursework and etc to get another piece of paper.

My experience: ChE undergrad + worked as an engineer for a few yrs before working on my MD/PhD (though I have no real interest in any surgical specialties)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk