Opportunities in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renabeana77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an optometrist practicing in PA at a private practice office with one other doctor. There is a possibility of a move to California (San Jose area, husband working for EBAY or the likes) and I'm just wondering what the realistic chance that I would be able to find a full time opportunity in the local area. I've been practicing for 5 years and make a great income for PA and I'm very concerned that moving there will be a bad decision, both career and financially for me. I just wanted to get a realistic idea of what sort of job opportunities there are and maybe a salary. I currently make $140k/year.

Members don't see this ad.

ca is rough. i had a lease job there after i graduated optometry school and it just wasnt a good location enough to make it worth it. private practice jobs and even corporate salary gigs and hard tofind, most of the stuff open is for sublease independent contractor stuff which is usually open for a reason. i make more in a different state. would i still like to be there? probably would be if my job was better. not saying you wouldn't make it but id rather save money elsewhere than not being able to save at all.