opportunity for volunteer work

Started by iatrosB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iatrosB

trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could anyone tell me how easy it is to work in a free clinic for one or two days out of the week. I love family practice and want to able to provide care for people who cannot pay. Are there barriers to establishing or working in a free clinic (malpractice...)? I would like to have my own practice, or join a group, and then work in a free clinic for one or two days. Is this possible? I don't really care about money.
 
I don't think it would be a problem to provide any free services to a clinic, depending on what you can do. I'm assuming you're a student, so you aren't licensed to do anything. So if you can find some work to do under supervision then it could work. If you don't know of any clinics around you, try going through the affiliated hospitals with your school. Chances are at least one of them have a free clinic. And just say you want to shadow there. With time, you could get some hands on experience.

Also, see if any clubs at school either know of or are conducting health fairs in your area. I found those to be the most helpful as far as helping out and gaining experience. Everything was supervised by a physician, so we weren't doing anything illegal. That is big in N.Y. - staying legal. It may be the case for you too.

Good luck!