Opposite problem with Diversity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammiesings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let me save Goro the trouble and say DIVERSITY =/= ethnicity, it is "what makes you cool? What would your friends say about you?" This is the time to talk about hobbies or unique perspectives on life. Avoid the "I have black friends" vibe at all costs.

PS I only know this from searching through forums. Not an adcom, med student, or physician, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, bud. reading my first post back, i made it confusing. but let me be clear that I'd be the black, gay friend who grew up in relative poverty/drugs/violence. therefore, not exactly sure how to frame THAT without coming across as "hey look at HOW DIVERSE I AM!!!!!!!!!!!"

also, how does someone from my background "reflect on an experience with diversity" when my vision of diversity would be white suburbia because that is what is foreign to me?

I agree with you that it can be a "look at what makes me cool" essay. And in that case, is it dismissive of me to not remark on my socioeconomic/cultural diversity?

All the things confuse me at this point in the admissions process lol

Discuss the environmental challenges you faced (and most importantly how you overcame them) but not directly start off with the fact that you are black and gay.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you been part of a group (of friends, co-workers, etc) that included white heterosex people, you, and others in between? Did you learn anything from them? Educate them about something? I see those as "experiences with diversity". I work in a fairly diverse workplace with arabs, Filipinos, whites, blacks, and others. I'm south Asian myself. I can honestly say that working with this diverse workforce has helped me wipe out some of the stereotype views I held in my mind. These views were not necessarily prejudicial, but along the lines of - nnnn people always like to mmmm. Changed my thinking on stereotypes I had in my mind - in fact, for stereotyping in general (or at least I hope it has).

Reactions: 2 users
What about stating right upfront that your background is a cliche, so not particularly diverse to your experience. And then talk about exactly what you said here -- about being the black friend, the gay friend, the lower SES friend -- then on getting past that cliche with your friends and colleagues and helping them see the individual, not the cliched stereotype

Reactions: 1 users
Whoops! Sorry I misread the first time around. Guess I gotta do more work on CARS ;) I think you have gotten some great advice in this thread. I wish you luck in your cycle!!

What about stating right upfront that your background is a cliche, so not particularly diverse to your experience. And then talk about exactly what you said here -- about being the black friend, the gay friend, the lower SES friend -- then on getting past that cliche with your friends and colleagues and helping them see the individual, not the cliched stereotype

Absolutely!!!

That's fine, but you could also just mention your race, orientation and economic status in passing as something that inspired you in your passion for stamp collecting, juggling or modern dance. As was mentioned above "diversity" is not a word meant to be confined to racial, ethnic or orientation matters. Writing about "educating" someone from a "dominant race" (OPs words) is exactly what you don't want to do. At the end of the day you need to be a "good fit" for the school. They want someone with cool hobbies and a unique perspective, not someone out to iron out social evils. Race is a positive if it brings a unique perspective. It is a negative if it potentially impacts relationships between med students or if you paint one group as "dominant" or prone to stereotype. Because by doing that you are making a group out as the bad guy, which may be true from your perspective but maybe rubs the reader the wrong way.

Last edited: