Opt shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I

itsallgood19

Since I figure that most people on these forums are in the optometry profession, does anybody know of any ODs or Eye Care practices in the NJ area that welcome students to shadow? I live in northern NJ and cannot find anyone willing to let me shadow a few times...if anyone can help out this would be extremely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep trying. Call your optometrist if you have one. I suggest you shadow ODs at every possible setting you can. Private practice, commercial, VA, MD/OD setting, or even military if they will allow you to do so. If you cannot do this then you are either anti-social or just have really bad luck!

I understand I will keep trying, some just don't call back/allow it. Does anyone know of any particular ODs/locations that are shadow friendly from experience or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just basically grabbed a phone book and called every office OD/MD until I found one that was willing to let me shadow. if it is a larger office speak to the office speak to the office manager and explain what you want to do. Good Luck.

You might also consider going to the offices, rather than calling. Harder for them to blow you off, if you're face-to-face.

I always hated shadowing--made me feel neeeervous.:eek: