optics in undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kglmp83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't even know my college offered this.
It is a physics course.
The course title is optics. Do you think this would be a good course to take based on the information below?

From syllabus: Each student is expected to learn concepts and problem solving techniques in the areas of simple optical elements (lenses, mirrors, fibers, prisms, gratings, polarizers, etc.), complex optical equipment (monochromators, interferometers, optical image processors, lasers, etc.), and selected applications of these elements and equipment. The student is expected to solve problems relative to the assigned work. Students are encouraged to work in teams on homework assignments even though the work is turned in individually. Applications of the course material will be discussed and related to current commercial and research devices using optical and electro-optical principles. Some examples are optical scanners, CD readers, corrective lenses and reading glasses, holograms, and fiber communications. Topics are selected based on available time and faculty/student interest.

This is primarily an algebra and trigonometry based course with some references to calculus operations and matrix algebra where absolutely necessary. Students are expected to think in logical and quantitative ways. Exams will consist of relevant conceptual and problem solving questions. Students are encouraged to use mathematics software in solving some problems such as the matrix multiplication for ray propagation during translation, reflection, and refraction of optical rays.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the topics covered:

Geometrical Optics
Optical Instruments
Wave Equations
Superposition Principle
Laser Properties
Interference
Interferometry
Fiber Optics
Fraunhofer Diffraction
Diffraction Grating
Polarization
Holography
Matrix Optics
Fourier Optics
Laser Optics
Nonlinear Optics, Modern Appl.

Sounds like an "opticianry" type of class. They are offered around here as well but they don't count toward a credit for my degree (they are considered a certificate type of program). As long as they count toward your degree....TAKE IT! It wouldn't hurt!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took optics at my university as well. It was, at my university at least, a 300 level course and I had to skip over a few physics courses to take it. I was lucky in having a really helpful professor who kind of helped me "catch up" to the other students (all physics majors, of which I am not). It was a really cool class, I loved doing the labs (I had an old optimus prime transformer that made a nifty hologram), and I believe I will be better prepared in optometry school because of it.

That being said, just make sure it's okay with your university to jump in and take it, I know I may have been in some trouble had not my professor been so gracious to help me out a bit.

sounds like it covers the subject pretty thoroughly, and is interesting at the same time. just make sure its not too advanced of a class; my school offers an optics class that i was going to take, but i found out that its primarily for physics majors and its one of the toughest courses they offer...while it may be useful to have you dont want it to struggle with it and possibly have it hurt your gpa

Fortunately, I have taken all the pre-reqs physics for this class. It is a lower 300 course.
There is a lab (400 level) that according to the syllabus is suggested that students take and it parallels the optics lecture. Unfortunately I won't be able to take the lab due to time conflicts with my other classes.
Just hope that taking this class shows the optometry school that I am serious about optometry.

Remember that you will get plenty of optics in optometry school. I wouldn't it call it necessary to take an optics class in undergrad. You will get all of the optics you need during school. Take it if you would like, but don't feel bad if you don't.

Remember that you will get plenty of optics in optometry school. I wouldn't it call it necessary to take an optics class in undergrad. You will get all of the optics you need during school. Take it if you would like, but don't feel bad if you don't.

I didn't even plan on taking optics until a few days ago.
It seems like there is a lot less biology classes offered this semester. Any biology class that is offered would not be relevant (plant physiology, ornithology, etc.). Immunology was cancelled and animal physiology is full. Histology, which I had planned to take and is usually offered, was not offered this semester. I've already taken many biology electives and fullfilled the requirement for my biology minor. Optics seems like the more relevant choice.