Optics main idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miringains

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT:

Concave mirror

O before C: Real, after Virtual

Converging lens
O Before f, real, after virtual

Convex mirror ---> virtual always
Concave lens ---> virtual always

Plane: Virtual always

Is this right?

Also 1/o + 1/i = 1/f= 2/r

So how do I judge magnification? m=-i/o, one of my books said to take the absolute value.... so if I get -6 is that 6x magnification so 6x larger? Is there any pattern like virtual images are smaller etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EDIT:

Concave mirror

O before C: Real, after Virtual

Converging lens
O Before f, real, after virtual

Convex mirror ---> virtual always
Concave lens ---> virtual always

Plane: Virtual always

Is this right?

Also 1/o + 1/i = 1/f= 2/r

So how do I judge magnification? m=-i/o, one of my books said to take the absolute value.... so if I get -6 is that 6x magnification so 6x larger? Is there any pattern like virtual images are smaller etc?

Anything converging = Positive Focal Lengths, and every image made from these will be real and inverted EXCEPT when the object is in front of the focus.

Anything Diverging = Negative Focal Lengths, image is always virtual and upright

For magnification, the number is how many times larger the image is compared to the object. So a magnifcation of a 1cm tall object with a value of -6, would mean the image is 6cm tall. The sign in front of magnification tells you whether the image is upright or inverted. In this case since the sign is negative, the image is inverted.