optimal time to start memorizing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 8-10 weeks out from the exam. I'm wondering when people start to memorize lists of things that they made, mainly pharm and micro stuff, perhaps some biochem as well. I dont htink it would be high yield for me to try and memorize it at this point. Is 4 weeks a good starting point? Or should it be much closer, like 10-14 days?

Members don't see this ad.

I got like 400 flashcards split into 50s by color and packed high yield stuff on each. Ie I put all cancer biomarkers on one, like 8 items on each about 6 weeks out? No point in cramming, make it a part of your memory. I am in 4th year and still remember my biochem pathways somewhat. All in all a good set of flashcards can take you through FA each time you go through them. I never made them in college or med school, but they helped a lot this time. Didn't make them for step 2. I ended up getting through them 4 times, on top of the 3 times I went through FA.

You should be familiar with most stuff since you studied it one time for your classes. For Step 1, it should be about memorizing the high yield details. 8 weeks is more than enough time, but don't overestimate your time. 8 weeks can fly by pretty quickly.