Option of doing PTA first then PT later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about the option of pursuing this track even though I've read a number of times that if you are looking to pursue the PT then just go for it. It seems like it might not be all that horrible though. Here are the thoughts.

1) There is a PTA school at my current location. I'm located in an area in which I, as well as my girlfriend have decent jobs.

2) Cost. The PTA school is inexpensive (tuition ~$4700) for a 12 month clinical phase. I know it will cost more due to other expenses but I think I could estimate total costs at ~10k.

The idea would be to obtain the PTA, work for a while in West Virginia while establishing residency, then applying to WVU down the road in an attempt to establish the "in-state" tuition rate. WVU = good school and cheap if your in-state. The other idea could be apply for the PTA to DPT bridge program at Findlay OH.

I'll add to say I'm not in a good location currently from a financial standpoint for pursuing the DPT. This meaning just about anywhere I look I'd be looking at acquiring 80-100k debt.

3) As PTA maybe I'd be offered some financial assistance by an employer for pursuit of the DPT in exchange for time served. Because I'd have all of the prerequisite requirements I'd be a pretty good candidate. Does this type of arrangement exist?

4) Since I'd have experience working as a PTA, I'd end up being better at delivering service down the line as a DPT because I could understand more from their perspective.

So is this thinking rational? It seems for some reason that the PTA to DPT idea is discouraged. The reason being additional schooling (I know the PTA clinical credits won't transfer for the WVU DPT program thus me retaking them again) and additional costs (the PTA program is cheap and if I could relocate to a state in which I could obtain the "instate tuition" than that school would be cheap as well). As a PTA I could work summers and help maintain costs as well.

Does this thinking make sense? I'm thinking about pursuing this route.

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan sounds rational enough. Getting residency for in-state tuition purposes is definitely the way to go and being a PTA will confirm whether you want to continue with DPT. Many programs are year round so working summers may not be possible, but doing PTA work on the weekends while in DPT school could be lucrative. Also, I wouldn't count on employer tuition assistance until you actually find someone who will do it... it may exist but it certainly isn't advertised.

Yeah so far I've come to a conclusion that the concept of attain tuition assistance for PT school in exchange for work down after school is a myth. For some reason people keep talking about it though so I was just wondering if it does.

Members don't see this ad :)
in my case, as a PT aide, my employer offered to help pay for pre-req's at the local community college in preparation for PT school, ie. medical terminology. thats about it.

Are you factoring in how much you would be losing salary wise over the course of your PTA schooling and working years as compared to if you just started DPT as soon as you could? Someone worked out the math on a similar situation on this forum a little while back, and it clearly showed that amount made from a PT salary over those years were fairly close to the proposed tuition saved by waiting to find a cheaper school...do the math in your situation, I think you will find the numbers surprising.

Second, depending on what area in the country you are looking to go to PT school, you will find a ton of employers willing to fund your education for a commitment to work. It usually looks something like 18month commitment for every 1 year they pay for. For example, I know the New York school system works this out with many of their PT schools (New York Medical College comes to mind) where graduates commit to working in their school system in return for tuition scholarships...theses arrangements exist, but you need to call and ask prospective schools.

-MotionD

I think the prior post stated total cost of the PTA program would be in terms of 30k. I really don't think this program would end up costing this much but I have been trying to actually talk to recent grads from the program to get a realistic picture of what I'd be looking at spending in total costs. The concept of entering the workforce early making a PT salary as opposed to the PTA does have merit. The idea of pursuing the PTA first then looking at the PTA to PT transitional program later seems like it could be a reasonable idea.

Another thing of importance is I'm not 100% sure that investing 100k+ in the DPT at this time with the uncertainty of healthcare reform looming and the already current reality of continuous reimbursement cuts is the best idea. I'm not completely on the bandwagon yet with the thinking "just do what you love" without taking into the consideration the heavy debt to income ratio. I hear salaries are to increase but this seems like simply speculation based upon a concept that eventually the DPTs will start demanding a higher salary in attempt to equalize the income to debt ratio. The past trends looks like reimbursement is decreasing not increasing (ie not keeping up with inflation). From what I've read Medicare is 7 years away from collapse. Add to this the number of PTs that I've shadowed and talked to that are quick to state things such as "the APTA is acting in their own best interest with the mandated doctorate." I wish I could sit here and write I've heard nothing but encouraging things regarding pursuing the DPT. Actually I've become quit discouraged. All this leads me to believe I need to actually work in this setting to best ascertain the realities of the profession. It doesn't seem like an irrational idea considering the life-long commitment once I sign those papers for the DPT. I've actually taken the salary concept out of the equation because once I sign on that line I've made the decision to submit to 30 years of loan repayment. Once in doing so though, I need to feel confident that I know all the facts.

Last edited:
I also can't decide whether I should get PTA first, and then DPT.

I do need to get pre-reqs for DPT, and maybe PTA will fullfill that as well?

Any thoughts/feedback?

I also can't decide whether I should get PTA first, and then DPT.

I do need to get pre-reqs for DPT, and maybe PTA will fullfill that as well?

Any thoughts/feedback?

This depends on a lot of variables. For me cost is a big issue. The DPT programs in my area range from 70k-90k for tuition costs alone. It's not DPT friendly. On the other hand there is an accredited PTA program a five minute drive away from where I currently reside that is 5k in tuition costs.
The prereqs for PTA are different than the DPT. You'll need a year of general chemistry, physics, anatomy/physiology, and some biology, psychology, statistics. The PTA in my area doesn't even require the year of anatomy/physiology. A more entry-level musculoskeletal course as well as an introductory Anat/physiology is all that is required. It is really two different leaques when you are comparing the DPT to the PTA from an academic standpoint.

One thing people will tell you is that the PTA is not a stepping stone to the DPT. There are only two accredited PTA to DPT transitional programs and you don't get any credit for clinical classes. The transitional programs from what I hear are on the weekends and take longer to complete than a traditional DPT program. For this reason a lot of PTAs that have made the transition have done so by simply applying to the traditional DPT programs just like any other applicant.

Why there is so little opportunity for PTAs to progress in their careers to attain the DPT is a question I have not been given a straight answer for. Some say that the DPT and PTA are completely two different entities and the education that was completed at the PTA level isn't good enough basically to transfer. I've also heard that possibly another reason is to control the numbers and thus the demand for PT services. I've also asked the question why there are only two transitional programs. The best answer I got is the lack of demand for them. Now I've never got around to asking the schools specifically what their applicant pool is so I've taken this answer at face value. I was under the impression prior to this, however, that the transitional programs were extremely competitive to get into.

It really does make you wonder why there isn't more opportunities for PTAs to advance their degree to the DPT level. One would think it would be more favorable for the profession to assist those that have actual experience within the profession rather than individuals that have only had volunteer experience. I really don't get it. Physics could still be a requirement for admission. Does anybody have any idea why there is so little opportunity for PTAs to progress their careers to the DPT?

Does anybody know if a PTA would apply to a DPT program, would they look more in favor of the PTA for admission?