Optional practical training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD028

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I matched in a residency that sponsors H1 visas. I do not have step 3 so do you think that I can do my first year of residency on CPT/OPT---- optional practical training. I am here in the US on a student visa.

PLZ advise...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I matched in a residency that sponsors H1 visas. I do not have step 3 so do you think that I can do my first year of residency on CPT/OPT---- optional practical training. I am here in the US on a student visa.

That is something US graduates without citizenship/PR frequently do. They will start their internship on OPT and get the H1b once they have A. step3 B.the paperwork has gone through with the goverment buerocrats. Often, they can't do the entire internship on OPT as frequently the OPT period starts with graduation and they come up a month or two short. One key advantage of this approach is that you save 'H1b time'. Having some extra 'H-time' over at the end of residency/fellowship can be quite helpful.

Btw. your residency should be at a academic teaching hospital. that way your H1b is exempt from the cap and you don't have to worry about that aspect.

Yes you need to complete your first year on OPT. Actually have you applied for your EAD card yet? As soon as you get that, they can start the H-1b process.
One thing, some programs I spoke with requires Step 3 before they sponsor H1b, even for US grads, and some programs don't. If Step 3 is required, I would take it early on during internship.