SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Optional practical training

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by JD028, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. JD028

    JD028 2+ Year Member

    Mar 22, 2007
    Hello. I matched in a residency that sponsors H1 visas. I do not have step 3 so do you think that I can do my first year of residency on CPT/OPT---- optional practical training. I am here in the US on a student visa.

    PLZ advise...thanks
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. f_w

    f_w 1K Member 5+ Year Member

    Jan 30, 2005
    That is something US graduates without citizenship/PR frequently do. They will start their internship on OPT and get the H1b once they have A. step3 B.the paperwork has gone through with the goverment buerocrats. Often, they can't do the entire internship on OPT as frequently the OPT period starts with graduation and they come up a month or two short. One key advantage of this approach is that you save 'H1b time'. Having some extra 'H-time' over at the end of residency/fellowship can be quite helpful.

    Btw. your residency should be at a academic teaching hospital. that way your H1b is exempt from the cap and you don't have to worry about that aspect.
  4. BearCat

    BearCat 2+ Year Member

    Nov 13, 2006
    Yes you need to complete your first year on OPT. Actually have you applied for your EAD card yet? As soon as you get that, they can start the H-1b process.
    One thing, some programs I spoke with requires Step 3 before they sponsor H1b, even for US grads, and some programs don't. If Step 3 is required, I would take it early on during internship.

Share This Page