OptionCare Career Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glhm93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the work environment as entry level pharmacist with OptionCare? Is it as clinical as they make it seem? And any general pros and cons about working with the company? I'd also appreciate input on home visits made by rphs. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

i was a home infusion pharmacist for about 3 years. part of that time spent with walgreens infusion, which became option care. day to day job is calling patients to check status/set up deliveries, monitoring abx/tpn labs, calling md offices for follow up (say when pt has completed 6 weeks of vanco), setting up new referrals, helping the production pharmacist check ivs. its not clinical in the sense a hospital pharmacist is clinical,but you get to look at labs..so sure, its clinical i guess.

pros are developing relationships with mds (important because they are the ones sending referrals, if they dont like you they wont use you),nurses, and patients as you are involved in their weekly deliveries. weekends off (unless on call), niche practice environment where you will learn quite a bit about iv therapy and administration. cons are on call requirements and depending on volume,can be rough as you really dont leave for the day until everything is mixed, checked, and out the door. fridays always sucked as hospitals push a lot of their discharges out the door that day. i dont know of any home infusion pharmacists that made home visits, this is nurses domain. i delivered a couple times, but everything is done via phone...i can try to answer any specific qs if you want.