Options for Canadian to practice in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayjay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I have read that "open letter to Canadians" thread/email/website by Dr. A Raza but I'm not entirely sure if it is still accurate.

Anyways, I wanted to know about the residency situation. I have quite a lot of family in the US who are all MDs, practicing and well established in their various fields (mainly academic medicine). As a Canadian, leaving Canada is a huge risk and makes it very difficult to return. As I said though, I have family in the US and would not mind settling there.

What are the limitations to getting a degree from the caribbean for a canadian and then trying to get a residency (FM or IM) in the states? I am doing my graduate degree in GI science and think that is where I would be most interested in going (although who knows once I actually start med school).

Anyone have any insight here? Know of any Canadians who successfully matched into the US?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

They are always many Canadians who match in the US each year from Ireland, Carrib, Australia but with that are those that don't for a few years or never do. Have you looked into the DO route for Canadians?

No I haven't looked into the DO route. I might after I finish this lousy MCAT. But DO is getting quite competitive as well and since I am already a HUGE longshot for an allopathic school in Canada/US, I doubt I'd be much more 'attractive' to DO schools either.

The reason I am looking to Australia is because my graduate degree seems to help quite a bit for some schools, and the 3 year weighting seems to help a lot for me at others. Irish schools I have no idea. The stats seem all over the place and even emailing the ABP hasn't given me any real advice. "yes you are competitive" doesn't really mean much to me when I see students with stats that grossly overshadow mine. Caribbean...well, it's the Caribbean. I don't know what to expect there. I would hope that I'd be competitive at the Big 4 but who knows until I try. Still another year before I apply to these three options though.

I meant mainly how much truth is there about US programs not willing to sponsor the required visas for Canadian doctors. I have read vaguely about the "statement of need" or whatever that Health Canada can provide for some Canadians, but how likely is it that Canadians studying abroad will get these over CMGs that want to try a residency in the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have read that "open letter to Canadians" thread/email/website by Dr. A Raza but I'm not entirely sure if it is still accurate.

Anyways, I wanted to know about the residency situation. I have quite a lot of family in the US who are all MDs, practicing and well established in their various fields (mainly academic medicine). As a Canadian, leaving Canada is a huge risk and makes it very difficult to return. As I said though, I have family in the US and would not mind settling there.

What are the limitations to getting a degree from the caribbean for a canadian and then trying to get a residency (FM or IM) in the states? I am doing my graduate degree in GI science and think that is where I would be most interested in going (although who knows once I actually start med school).

Anyone have any insight here? Know of any Canadians who successfully matched into the US?

Thanks! :thumbup:

for canadians who go down to the carib and match into us.....www.valuemd.com forums are what will get you better info

Jaywalk, due to my neverending need to see other people's experiences I read your MDapps profile.

Just curious, why did you choose to go to DO route instead of applying abroad? Not putting it down in any way, just curious. Did you like something about DO-ness during your shadowing? From what I've gathered about Irish/Aus schools, you seem like your application would be quite competitive there.
Cheers and gl with this year's cycle.