Options for clinical rotations in own time (FMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hysteronproteron

Reaction score
From the research I've done so far, I've gotten two things nailed into me if I want to stand any chance as an FMG in the Match - smashing USMLEs and clinical experience in the US. Only problem is that most of our clerkships (or placements as we call them on this side of the pond) are pre-set for us, with only two two-month blocks for electives, where I could possibly go officially to the US for some clinical experience, and that just doesn't seem like it'll cut it. So, I've been thinking of using every spare moment to jet over there and get as much experience as possible. I'm starting 2nd year in September and have three weeks off for Christmas/NY and was thinking of going over there and doing some experience in my own time, i.e. it won't be affiliated with uni at all and I won't be requiring an official evaluation/grade. However, I know that clerkships (at least in all the programs I looked up, which were quite a lot) seemed to require going through a formal application process and were reserved for final year students only. The two questions I'm facing therefore are:

1. Will this be beneficial to me and will it be considered in my application, given that it leads to some LORs? Obvs, if it's a good addition to my app, it won't be a one-time-thing and I'll probably keep doing it every Christmas/spring break/summer until graduation.
2. What exactly are my options if I'm right that clerkships are indeed out of the question until I'm a final year student? Are there other ways to gather clinical experience, do I just email MDs personally asking to shadow around?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.