Options for completing my M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trader56

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another forum, but it occurs to me that some of you here might also be able to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked to your old med school? Are they willing to help out at all?

you need to talk to your old med school and pronto. assuming you had asked for a formal leave of absence (in good standing), your school would most likely be very happy to start taking your money again. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
exactly. A friend of mine did this. she did a year research at NIH and then for family reasons took two years off. She had left in good standing. She is finishing her 3rd year now.

so the first thing you need to do is talk to your old med school

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Unfortunately, once you formally withdraw, you can't just go back. This is not the same as a leave of absence. In retropspect, of course, withdrawing was not the right thing to do, but we had no idea how long this problem with my son's health would last. I could only take one year off on a leave of absence, and made a decision clouded by the emotions of the time.

Any ideas at all? Anything?

Thanks again to everyone!

Despite the above, your chances are best at your former school. Check with them.

If they are not able to help you, then you will need to start contacting schools and asking if they accept applications for 3rd year. Most will require that you have taken and passed USMLE Step 1 before embarking on clinicals, so if you haven't done so, you should get started studying for it.

I guess I would deal with the situation like anyone wanting to transfer. However, you haven't mentioned how long you've been away from medicine. Anything longer than a couple of years might give schools some pause.

I don't know if there exists a formal manner to do this except to start contacting schools.

Thanks again!

yet another post

Trader56 said:
forgive me for yet another post on this, but can I sit for Step I without being enrolled in a med school?

I can't imagine this to be possible, but I'm so in the dark right now, I don't know what's possible.

Good question. I could not find the answer on the NBME website which seems to classify takers into 2 categories: US/Canadian students/grads or Foreign students/grads.

Why don't you email or snail mail them and ask if you have to be enrolled to register for the exam (explaining the unusual nature of your status)? Contact them at:

NBME
Examinee Support Services
3750 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3190
Telephone: (215) 590-9700
Fax: (215) 590-9457
Email: [email protected]

First, start with your former school and see if they can either make room for you, or help you find another position.

Secondly, complile a packet to send to other programs. This would be similar to what you would send if you were applying. Therefore, you should include:

- cover letter stating who you are, your situation and what you are seeking
- copies of MCAT scores
- medical school transcripts and undergrad transcripts
- letters of rec; preferably from your former school's Dean and some faculty there attesting to the fact that you were a wonderful student and that they would take you back but don't have room for you (sent under separate cover)
- personal statement
- CV

This should be sent to any in-state schools, private colleges of medicine and any other out of state schools you think you would have a reasonable chance at. This will be a big job and hopefully your former school can assist you. Perhaps they can't take you this year, but can next year. Or maybe they'll want you to repeat 2nd year. You won't know until you ask.

Ask any former faculty and the Dean to make phone calls on your behalf. In your cover letter, make sure you include contact information and close with a statement that you will be calling in x number of weeks to discuss this matter and answer any questions they may have. Call each program you've contacted by letter within 4 weeks and see if they've been able to review your packet and what their thoughts are, could you schedule any interview if they have any room in their 3rd year class?

Foreign schools are obviously an option but not until you've exhausted the option above. If you were in good academic standing before you left, I see no reason why a school that accepts transfers or new students in to the 3rd year would not consider you.

If there are any other schools within reasonable driving distance, it would not be out of this world to ask for a meeting, sending your packet in advance.

best of luck. If anyone else has some suggestions or knows someone who's been through this, we would appreciate it if they could offer some advice, as I'm just guessing on all of this.

At my Caribbean school, we had a few people that had started at US allopathic schools and had quit (no one kicked out) for one reason or another, and the only thing I recall is that these few people were WIERD - I mean, just truly bizarre people. One was from George Washington, IIRC.

So, after the good advice of KC above, you could consider Caribbean. If you are anywhere in the neighborhood of normal, you'd be fine.

As far as Step I, you have to be certified by your school (not necessarily sponsored) that you are eligible to take it.

Trader56 said:
It had occurred to me to try some of the foreign schools, but I thought maybe I'd see if it was worth it to even try at any of the U.S. ones since that's where I started.

If you have exhausted all other options, you may be able to apply to a Carib school (like Ross) to see if you can get advanced standing. You may have to remediate a class or two in Dominica, and perhaps sit for their Basic Medical Sciences Integration (BMSI) course. But, I don't know if this is technically feasible. Even if successful, it may be difficult to come back to the U.S. after you finish (your diploma would be from Ross, after all) as a lot of questions will come up during the interview trail why you dropped out of a U.S. school and ended-up finishing your degree at a Carib school.

Again, I would exhaust all other options, namely re-enrolling in your former school even if you have to bite the bullet and repeat a few courses. I also am pretty sure that you cannot site for USMLE Step 1 unless you are enrolled in a medical school (and, in the case of the Carib/foreign schools, you'd have to start the ECFMG certification process).

Long story short, do the Caribbean thing as a last resort. It's just going to look bad for you, in my opinion. Have other students done this? Yes. In fact, I know someone who transferred out of CUNY's program to Ross and is currently doing clinicals here in New York. So, it can be done. Just make sure that you know what you're getting into before you make any hasty decisions.

If you are still very interested in doing something like this, I'd start by contacting someone at Ross to, at the very least, discuss your specific case.

http://www.rossmed.edu/Medical_School/Admissions/Transfer_Applicants/transfer_applicants.html

Good luck!

-Skip