Options for subsidized loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreadLightly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received my school's award package and it looks like they calculated a small EFC (<$10k) and offered me a grad PLUS and an unsubsidized stafford loan. I've only done preliminary research into these loans and I was hoping to receive some type of subsidized loans but it looks like that might not be an option.

I entered my parents (significantly high) finances and I'm worried that impacted my loan options in a negative way. Is that even possible? I had relatively low income (~30k) this past year and there's no way they could have calculated that EFC from my income. If I resubmitted my fafsa without parent info, could my award change?

Was I already out of the running for Perkins loans since my parents don't have financial need or was that determined by my financial situation? I'm honestly kinda bummed since my parents are not helping me with expenses and I was hoping for slightly better options.

Lots of questions. Thanks.

P.S. Could talking to my school's fin aid office yield any grants or other type of help in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Perkins are undergrad. There are no subsidized Staffords for med school anymore, and that was only $8500/yr before. Unsub Staff & Grad Plus are what you get. Your EFC had nothing to do with this.

Family money only affects institutional programs: the scholarships and loans that are specific to your school. You would probably know by now if you got one, but maybe that's still coming.

Best of luck to you.

I entered my parents (significantly high) finances and I'm worried that impacted my loan options in a negative way. Is that even possible?
No.

I had relatively low income (~30k) this past year and there's no way they could have calculated that EFC from my income. If I resubmitted my fafsa without parent info, could my award change?
Yes, it could take you out of the running from getting a late scholarship from your school. This is unlikely, but it could happen. Basically, nothing beneficial could come of removing your parent's data at the medical school level.

You got the same financial award that the most of your peers will get. A few will also get a scholarship from their school, and these scholarships are often contingent on parental information.