1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Options, What do do after dental rejection

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by UMDeeMan, Apr 3, 2004.

1. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ok, here's the deal, what is an applicant supposed to if they get the big N-O from the adcom for dental school? this is a serious topic here so don't say be a drug lord or something. I'm just curious if anyone has any back up plans. I know I have, i like to to leave myself outs if a commitee feels i'm not dental material. what is a student supposed to do with a biology or other science degree besides teach?? i want to know what all you accepted dental students would have done if you had not been accepted. don't cope out by saying you knew you would get accepted either because nothing is for certain. I'll go first.

If I get rejected from dschool when i apply..... I will do one of 3 things.
    1. pursue my secondary career choice, Phsyical Therapy.
    2. go back to and get a business degree (finance) so i can walk into my uncle's current position and make 300-500k a year.
    3. i really dont know what i would do after the first two and I only hope i dont have have to execute any of the options listed.

ok, it's not that difficult. i know there are people on here that still have to apply so i want to know if you left yourself options. also, all you current Dental students, tell me what you would have done had you not been accepted. PLEASE be honest here. i am paranoid about applying (even though it's far away) so don't lecture me on it. just answer the question please. thank you for your time.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. busdriver

busdriver what do i know?
    7+ Year Member

i think if someone were serious about going into dentistry as their life profession they would at least reapply once, if not more than once, or go the post-bac route. if you really want to become a dentist, i think it's very possible to do so. it just might take a little longer. but if it didn't pan out and i somehow didn't get accepted after multiple tries then i think i would've gone back to school and done business. but honestly, i didn't really think about "what if i didn't get into dental school" cuz i really believe it's possible if you keep on trying and don't give up.

4. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

One can always go into research with a biology degree.. There are some industry jobs available for bio majors too.

Some options I was considering back in 2000 if I couldn't get into dental school (which was my second attempt):

- Get an academic research job (easiest option).

- Get an industry product R&D job (next easiest option).

- Get paramedic training and apply to the FDNY for a job. (The New York City fire department is always hiring EMTs and paramedics).

- Taking the civil service exam and applying to the U.S. Department of the Interior to be a park ranger (a biology degree is fine for that, but this job is pretty competitive).

- Military service as a last resort, but having military experience will also open up some job opportunities.

- Whatever other odds and ends that comes my way.

None of these jobs pay well, but enough to survive. No gravy, but definitely better than being unemployed..

Thankfully I did not have to resort to any of those contingencies. :D

5. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm on board with the busdriver here. I think another serious option would be to reapply. Take the year to improve your profile (GPA, DAT score, experience) and reapply. If it's a person's #1 career choice, then I think it deserves another shot.

6. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

To the OP:

I did go through that experience... I applied last cycle and realised my chances were really LOW to get an acceptance at the schools I was interested (although I did get interviews from schools that I didn't see myself attending). So, I did some personal thinking about what I should consider as my Plan B! - and to be honest, it wasn't as hard as you would think, it was simply moving-on and to re-apply, and this time... more of a pay-back. :mad:

First, I looked at my stats - which was the main reason I didnt get into schools last cycle - so I had to do something about my GPA, which was about 3.1 and Sci 3.0 at the time. Now, I boosted my GPA to 3.45 and 3.4. I did re-take the DAT - and did much better in all sections than my first attempt... with 18's and 19's.

Secondly, started to commit to dentistry - a lot of shadowing with different dentists, summer dental programs etc... - so i would get good references for my application, and something to talk about when I get interviews.

Thirdly, introduced myself to Adcoms at the schools of my interest, so they know that I am more commited for the coming cycle.

Finally, with all the above goals completed, my confidence is much better, and have few doubts about getting rejections if I apply early in May.

So, if you don't get in anywhere this year - its not the end of the world, it is actually a chance to discover more about yourself - have a go at improving your weaknesses, work on your stats - it will show the adcoms that you didn't give up so easily, and that you are a better applicant than before.

My philosophy in life is - if you commit, you can accomplish anything in time.

7. aileen

aileen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Way to go, Mo007! :thumbup:

8. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

one question, how did you improve your gpa from a 3.0 to 3.3-3.4?? that seems kinda a large jump to me. it's pretty tough to to improve a gpa that much when you already have 120 credits under your belt. also the classes you you took for that, did you do post-bac or did you take easy classes for the A's.

i asked this cause i'm an impatient person by nature. i really want to practice dentistry, but i don't want to wait till i'm 35 to start a career (granted it won't be that late). i'm confident when i apply I will have a good shot. the only thing that will worry me is my gpa (3.3-3.4). sorry to fill the board with ******ed questions but you were all in my shoes at one point also.

9. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no doubt, here's my obscure view. why go to college then to get a job that pays 30-40k?? why not just do labor right out of high school, save yourself tuition debt, and make a possible max salary of 50-60k? you say this doesn't happen? it does. I worked part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer for Frito-lay working in a warehouse. i was making 13.00 an hour. my best friend, smart as hell (32 ACT) but can't stand school (booted out after soph year), worked there with me also. when he decided school wasn't for him he took a job with frito full time. he's making 40k a year right now at 21. he has security also, frito-lay is not going to disappear ever. he lives a comfortable life for a 21 year old and is looking into buying a house. he has no tuition debt and has 401k/stock/retirement plans already going (he's not dumb with his money). at this rate he will be able to retire at around 55 and will have lived a stress free life. honestly, all those jobs you mentioned are horrible and i could not spend my life doing those, especially just to get by. you can just get by working at Best Buy and that'd be more fun then sitting in a lab all day. think of all the money invested into an education for that 30-40k job compared the 0 amount of dollars invested by my friend making that same at 21.

all in all i agree with the reapply once or twice thing. but if a person can't get in after the first or second try, i personally think it'd be best to move on. we only have so many years here to live life, i wouldn't want to spend more then 8 years (say 4 for undergrad and 4 or so for applying assuming rejections) just trying to get into dental school.

10. HangOnSloopy

HangOnSloopy Your mom goes to college
    7+ Year Member

I've been pretty much rejected this year, and I'm hoping to spend the next year while I wait to reapply doing an internship with Americorps and giving a year of service. I'm thinking this will boost my profile a little bit, does anybody agree?

11. UBTom

10+ Year Member

"Horrible" only to you, maybe.

People have made careers out of the military for example and they do fine. Hell, we got people on this here board who are going into the military even after dental school.

In particular I like the idea of working for the National Park Service. I would love to be a park ranger at places like Yosemite or Denali. :D [​IMG]
    That's Denali. "Horrible?" You gotta be kidding. :laugh:

And don't go dissing paramedics or the FDNY-- They aren't called "New York's Bravest" for nothing! It's definitely something an adrenaline junkie can go for.

Research can be boring yep, that I do agree, having worked in a lab for several years. It fits well with some personalities though who are inclined to academia.

Not everyone who graduates from college is guaranteed a well-paying job, but people still do it anyway because money might not be the only motivating factor.

12. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

first off, not ripping on any civil services (police/fd). those are sweet jobs, but they don't require a 4 year degree, they require 2 years of training. alot of my friends are doing the fireman track. pretty sweet deal, work 3 straight get 7 off, do it over and over. good benefits, fun "work". dangerous, but very very exciting.

park ranger career - another friend of mine is doing something like that. getting a degree from UW-madison in recreational management. interned last summer at yosemite. as you mentioned, must be an outdoorsy type person, not me. so you can have the ranger job.

research, worked in a lab doing research on the effects of GABA and the brain as an assistant for a semester. it was interesting for about 2 months. then just got old. could never see myself working in that setting for more then 2-3 years.

i love the health field and love daily interactions with many people. i want a career that's hands on. i would like to be able to have control over my work schedule while making a decent living. i have the mental and physical capabilities to be a successful professional. so what does all that equate out to??? Dentistry. what are the next closest fits ? for my PT or Business (sales).

13. UBTom

10+ Year Member

There you go. My point is that those alternatives I mentioned were not so "horrible" as you say. Doesn't matter if you went to school for four years if a job requires only two.

Game, set and match. :D

14. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

My initial GPA (3.1/3.0) was with 70 hours of coursework - I added 35 hours on top of that for last year alone, with a GPA of 3.94 (lowest grade was A-) - if you do the Maths, it comes out to roughly 3.45/3.4. I will continue to take more courses to earn a degree, meaning another another 15-20 hours, and if I get A's in those, I can end up with a higher GPA - 3.5-3.6.

I took upper Biology courses to boost my GPA - Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Biochemistry and Immunology - which I think will help me out a lot at first year of Dental School. Those classes were not post-bacs, I took them at a 4 year college as a continuing-ed student. They were not easy, I guess being dedicated kept me going and getting those grades. So, in a sense - adcoms would like to see those improvements made on my last year's application (I hope).:D

15. swisschez2000

swisschez2000 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Take a vacation.

16. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

fireman school is a totally different education then one received with a biology degree. learning how a prokaryotic cell works does not help you go into burning buildings to save people while maintaining your safety.

and yes in my view, a park ranger job or lab job are horrible. game set match??? how can you tell me my opinion is wrong? and my 4 year degree in kinesiology would not get me into AEGON financial.

17. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

so at what point in your undergrad did you apply??? Don't you have to be ready to matriculate at dschool the next fall?? how could you apply with only 70 hours of coursework?? i was under the impression you had to be within one semester of completing your undergrad and 50 hours in one semester doesn't compute. from that 70 hour mark it would take 2 years to finish up, 1 and a half if you busted it out.

18. UBTom

10+ Year Member

You need to re-read my original post. I'm not talking about being a fireman-- I'm talking about being a paramedic or EMT with the New York City Fire Department, and a biology degree is perfectly fine for that.

Here in New York, the EMS is part of the FDNY.

Even if you are not an outdoorsy type, if you find this "horrible," all I can say is most people on this planet would disagree with you. :laugh:
    [​IMG]

As I said, only to you, maybe.

Game, set and match. Again. :D

19. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

an EMT or a paramedic is not a fireman. A fireman may receive additional training to become an EMT or paramedic.there is seperate educational processes in order to become a fireman as there are for becoming an EMT or paramedic. there is a distinction, it is not the same. hospitals employ janitors, does that make them doctors??

here in duluth minnesota, janitors are part of SMDC (Saint-Mary's Duluth Clinic)

game, set, match. :rolleyes:

20. UBTom

10+ Year Member

Who said paramedics or EMTs are the same as firemen? Not me. If you bothered to read my post carefully, you would have gotten my point 10 posts ago that a BIOLOGY DEGREE IS FINE FOR PARAMEDICS AND EMTS, AND IN NYC THAT MEANS WORKING FOR THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. Why are these simple facts so difficult for you to comprehend?

Then again, from that *ahem* lovely home video of yourself below, I should have known I was dealing with a mentally-******ed petulent child. :laugh:

Seriously, if you don't like the fact that the Emergency Medical Service is part of the Fire Department in the City of New York, don't whine to me about it. Complain to them. (shrug)

Write to this address:

Honorable Michael Bloomberg, Mayor
    Gracey Mansion
    New York, NY 10024

:laugh:

The readers know who got the game, set and match, chump. :p

21. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have no problem with that. but it doesn't validate your point you were trying to make which i have no idea what it was. my point is that by common person definition, a fireman and EMT/Paramedic are not the same. One fights fires, the other keeps a person alive till the professionals can get their hands on them. and this is what i call amazing....

[​IMG]

this discussion has ended.

[​IMG]

corky says game, set, match.

22. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

corky looks hungry

23. swisschez2000

swisschez2000 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's Jabba the Hut's love child.

24. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I had the same fears when I started college (what would I do with a bio degree). I decided to take the safe route and get a business degree. Now, I'm 23 with a decent job and I'm taking the prereqs at night so that I can apply to dental school next May. I currently have a 3.85 GPA and 4.0 in science, but this may change over the next year as I'm finishing up the prereqs.

I know that the route that I've taken will end up adding two years to the process of becoming a dentist, but I was the first person in my family to go to college and I had no idea that I would be as successful as I was in school.

I didn't want to go to school for four years to end up making 35K as a science teacher or something like that.

25. RaiderNation

RaiderNation Recently Reinstated
    7+ Year Member

So what you're saying Mo, is you didn't get in as a non-degree seeking student. In other words, you were attempting to matriculate into d-school without a degree. One thing the OP should know is the difficulty of getting into d-school without a degree. Sure, alot of people have done it, but they are alot less competitive than those with a degree. Obviously, in your case, you will be a good example of how a degree will help you get into d-school (as well as your upward grade trend).

26. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
  27. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I tried without a degree - and found out the consequences and repercussions. :D - but my stats were still decent, so - a degree is very imperative.

28. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hrmm. There are some schools that don't require a degree and a lot that pretty much require one. Ask the school for their admissions stats for the final say.

Aggie: with the retiring age set to 65 now, and prob 67 within the next 5-10 years depending on how broke this country will be thanks to Bush, an extra 2 years is a sneeze. Take those two years and enjoy it while you can before you matriculate.

29. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

aggie - what concentration of business did you get your degree in and what company are you working for?? I'm really starting to sway towards switching to business. just based on the fact that a bs in kinesiology really is good for nothing unless you go onto a professional school. but from what it sounds like, as long as you have a decent gpa and dat, taking only the requirements can't hurt you.

so here is the next question to you all.......

Who is a more competitive applicant. A student with a science-core major, or a non-science core major? assume both have matching gpa's and DAT's.

My own opinion is that the science major is more compeititive due to the extensive exposure to the more advaced bio and chem then a business major would get. but let me know what you all think, matter of fact, i think i just will start a new thread.

30. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I was a poli sci major and I got in no problem. There were plenty of science majors that I beat out. Getting into dental school requires a bit of strategy, and mine was to make sure my GPA looked good, even if I wasn't taking as hard a schedule as everyone else. It all comes down to GPA, DAT, and interview(not necessarily in that order). They don't take a very close look at your file (in terms of major, hours, community service crap, extra cir. stuff, etc. etc.)until after the first round and close to the end of the second round of applicants. So, if you put yourself, GPA/DATwise, ahead of the curve a bit, they won't even worry about that stuff. They may ask you about it in your interview(they didn't in my three interviews), if they do, tell them that you are going to load up on science classes in your senior year.

31. UMDeeMan

UMDeeMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

calc, did you load up on science courses senior year????:D

32. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Yep, I will have taken biochem, histo, anatomy and a dental science course that was offered in the fall by the end of the year. Once you're accepted(Dec. 1 in my case) you only need to make Cs, so I make Cs in all my poli sci classes and I work fairly hard in my sciences to learn the material so I'm not totally ignorant next year.