Optometric Residencies: Worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsviet0322

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm in my last year of optometry school and I'm currently considering pursuing a residency. I've been changing my mind regarding a residency for the past 2 years and would like everyones input on why they want or why they dont want to pursue a residency. Is it worth the pay cut to pursue a residency? Do employers care about residencies?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

They are only worth the boost in self esteem,which is important.However,if doing private practice they would most likely only give you credit for a year in practice.

All that said,I would not delay a great practice opportunity to complete one but if the offers are just so so,then doing one would be great for YOU and not carry the financial hit otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
If the residency is to prolong finding a job, I don't recommend it. If the residency is specifically needed for a job you are seeking, then go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never thought I would do one because I had a potential employer I was communicating with, but I’m completing one now.

It doesn’t make any financial sense at all. I chose to do one because the conditions were right for me (good relationship with the mentor, didn’t have to move, SO still with me, good hours, area of interest).

While I could have joined the practice, I chose to spend a year in an academic setting because it was convenient for me and I am heavily considering pursuing a job opportunity that requires residency. Even with moonlighting on occasion, the income is barely enough to make small loan payments on top of everything else, but it’s a good idea to work out the financial details before accepting.

Bottom line: No

However, if you do cornea or vision therapy you can specialize and get paid more in the future. Even though I'm iffy about the science behind all of vision therapy, it does have a purpose in select patients.