Optometry Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal2014

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a particular dress code for optometry schools? More importantly, what must you wear during labs? Scrubs or a lab coat?

I read somewhere in the MD forums some students have to take off their shirts for certain labs (lol), so would that ever happen in optometry school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think dress-codes would vary from one school to another, but, generally, it seems most permit students to wear whatever they wish, to classes, but require something along the lines of "casual professional" (i.e., slacks and a button-down shirt, for men [a paint-suit/"Hillary-Clinton," I suppose, for women]), in the clinic.

Non clinic/lab wear whatever. In clinic lab, men must wear shirt and tie, women must dress professionally and you must wear a lab coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think dress-codes would vary from one school to another, but, generally, it seems most permit students to wear whatever they wish, to classes, but require something along the lines of "casual professional" (i.e., slacks and a button-down shirt, for men [a paint-suit/"Hillary-Clinton," I suppose, for women]), in the clinic.

a "Hilary Clinton" for women? I'm glad you're not telling my school what to wear!

Well...it was Spring Break when I was at both UMSL and SCO, so I don't know about their attire for classtime, but AZCOPT has you wear scrubs or business casual (your choice) all the time.

a "Hilary Clinton" for women? I'm glad you're not telling my school what to wear!

If I were dictating attire-guidelines, men would be in t-shirts and jeans, and women would be...:wow:. (It was that or the whistling guy — I've made my decision, and I stand behind it.)

my profession, allows me to visit around 15 optometry school a year. students are generally dressed in business casual. at least during equipment fairs and showcases.

J

If I were dictating attire-guidelines, men would be in t-shirts and jeans, and women would be...:wow:. (It was that or the whistling guy — I've made my decision, and I stand behind it.)

:laugh:

for the OP, at SCO it's casual dress for classes and professional attire for some labs and clinic (other labs let you dress casual, it depends).

At Nova the dress code is a specific type of scrubs ordered through the college that must be worn on campus for classes/labs, etc. Anytime a student is in any of the clinics (even for observations) the student must be in full clinic attire which is business attire with a white coat.

For regular classes we can usually get away with flip flops (as it is usually quite hot) but when some people try to pull it in other situations, even regular labs, they may be sent home to change.

Sometimes it gets annoying, especially on hot days, but generally the mandatory scrubs make it pretty easy to choose what you're wearing!