Optometry experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanoosa7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of optometry experience did everyone get? Did you simply volunteer at an optometrists office or did you shadow an optometrist (observe and follow him/her around) or what? Did anyone actually work for an optometrist?

I want to start getting experience but don't know exactly what kind of experience to look for, or what kind of experience optometry schools want or like you to have.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I really didn't have that much experience. I job shadowed ODs at two different settings (private and hospital) for several days. I also worked as a lab attendant at an retinal electrophysiology lab. That's about it! I would definitely help if you could volunteer or work at an optometrist's office. If not, shadow ODs in different settings and with various sub-specialities. I was always asked about that during my interview.

Ning-Ju

Ning said:
Hi,

I really didn't have that much experience. I job shadowed ODs at two different settings (private and hospital) for several days. I also worked as a lab attendant at an retinal electrophysiology lab. That's about it! I would definitely help if you could volunteer or work at an optometrist's office. If not, shadow ODs in different settings and with various sub-specialities. I was always asked about that during my interview.

Ning-Ju
i agree fully with what you stated. but i have a question, since you only shadowed for a few days with those ODs how did u get them to write you a letter of rec? Seriously the hardest and most stressful thing for me were obtianing the letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Yeah....I knew it would be difficult, so I prepared some materials.
1. Why I thought I would make a good optometrist
2. My strenghts and weaknesses
3. Personal statement
4. Resume
5. Transcript

Of course it would be better if they knew me well and worked with me over a period of time, but I'm sure lots of people are in the same situation. After a couple of days, it'll get kinda boring unless you're actually doing something, rather than following the OD around.

Ning-Ju

I don't think they mind writing the letters too much. One OD wrote a letter for me that knew my dad and at the time he wrote the letter for me I personally hadn't even met him yet.

I don't really understand the signficance of the recommendation letters too much. Unless you've done something really outstanding, I would imagine a lot of the letters say about the same things.