Optometry HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shorty_sam

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that doing the HPSP is not worth it if you are just doing it for the money, but what if money is not the only reason but just the main reason. I am very interested in serving the Air Force but not interested in figthing for my country. The money is very appealing as well as the serving my country in the background. I gues my question to you all is will I regret it if I am not at all itnerested in being around war? I want to help out but just not be in danger.
My other question is what is the time line for applying for the four year scholarship starting next year? When should I apply? Can a civilian even get the four year HPSP? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Great, another one of those folks who love the benefits and freedom our country provides, yet on the coat tails of others who have served our military in times of peace AND war.

My recommendation for you: stay away from our HPSP program and move to Canada.

Just how to you propose to control whether we will be at war during your payback? Seriously, if you have reservations about military service, there are other ways to pay for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by shorty_sam
I gues my question to you all is will I regret it if I am not at all itnerested in being around war? I want to help out but just not be in danger.

The military medical community has various missions, but the NUMBER ONE mission of the military medical community is to keep the soldier/sailor/airman fit to fight. In order to do this, you need to go where they go. This sometimes means that you will need to go to austere environments where the locals might not be exactly thrilled you are there.

If it helps, there were no optometrists killed in action in either the Persian Gulf War or Operation Iraqi Freedom. Sure, it was hot, they had to carry a weapon and a gas mask, and they were thousands of miles from the nearest Starbucks. If the thought of someone making you do something like that makes you angry, then you would be better off not taking the scholarship.

It is extremely difficult to get a 4 year AF HPSP scholarship, even with competetive grades. The AF just doesn't have that many 4 year slots.

You might consider looking into the Indian Health Service. They don't have HPSP, but they do offer a loan repayment plan. They require you to work on an Indian reservation for several years. Indian reservations, from what I understand, aren't the most happenin' place to be if you were raised in the suburbs. But the likelihood of seeing combat is almost non-existent.

Originally posted by shorty_sam
"...I am very interested in serving the Air Force but not interested in figthing for my country. The money is very appealing as well as the serving my country in the background. I gues my question to you all is will I regret it if I am not at all itnerested in being around war? I want to help out but just not be in danger.
My other question is what is the time line for applying for the four year scholarship starting next year? When should I apply? Can a civilian even get the four year HPSP? Thanks.

Dear short_sam,

A HPSP slot is a treasured slot in any of the services. In my opinion, if asked to "fight" for your country, it usually means, for optometrists, that you will be asked to assume assignments which you may deem personally inconvenient or distateful for you or your family (if you have one now).

The key to this program is that you asked for the money and you took and they therefore have you for the amount of "payback" that you have to do. I believe that you would be low on the totem pole to get your first or even second assignment on your "dream sheet" and that you would not be considered for advanced training (Ph.D) until you have completed the initial payback.

Most optometrists that I have met in any of the services are dedicated individuals. In my opinion, if you are seeking the HPSP scholarship, I would strongly recommend that you keep your personal feelings private and complete the service commitment. In the past, individuals who accepted a military commitment and have desired to "dodge" it for one or more reasons, may face both civil and criminal action in the form of payback of actual dollars or legal action.

If you are charged and convicted of the more serious criminal charges, you will actually be denied a license in most states because of the "felony" conviction.

Regards,
Richard Hom, OD,FAAO
LTC, USAR (ret)
San Mateo, CA