optometry is great!!! read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't create new screen names just b/c your account is on hold.

lol I think s/he just earned themselves a ban. Sock puppeting to evade limitations or whatever its called.

Members don't see this ad.

Today's Feature Article: 20 Questions: Ben Chudner, OD, FAAO

http://studentdoctor.net/2012/07/20-...o-d-f-a-a-o-2/

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become an optometrist? (Why or why not? What would you have done instead?)

That's actually a difficult question to answer. If I had to do it all over again back in 1993 when I entered optometry school, I definitely would. I have been very fortunate in my career. If I was looking at optometry today, knowing what I know today, then I don't think I would still become an optometrist. I say that because I've worked in just about every setting you can imagine, and I know that I would not be happy unless I could be in a private practice. That being said, if someone looking at the profession understands that most likely they will work in a corporate setting for at least the first several years, if not their entire career, and is fine with that, then I think this is still a good career choice. If I didn't become an optometrist I probably would have considered dentistry.

WOW! Even an OD says the field is atrocious... hmmm... Facts are facts... its quite sad to see an OD respond this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm amazed grown people are acting this way for multiple pages of an internet forum. Has no one here ever heard of just ignoring people you don't like?:idea:

Today's Feature Article: 20 Questions: Ben Chudner, OD, FAAO

http://studentdoctor.net/2012/07/20-...o-d-f-a-a-o-2/

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become an optometrist? (Why or why not? What would you have done instead?)

That’s actually a difficult question to answer. If I had to do it all over again back in 1993 when I entered optometry school, I definitely would. I have been very fortunate in my career. If I was looking at optometry today, knowing what I know today, then I don’t think I would still become an optometrist. I say that because I’ve worked in just about every setting you can imagine, and I know that I would not be happy unless I could be in a private practice. That being said, if someone looking at the profession understands that most likely they will work in a corporate setting for at least the first several years, if not their entire career, and is fine with that, then I think this is still a good career choice. If I didn’t become an optometrist I probably would have considered dentistry.

WOW! Even an OD says the field is atrocious... hmmm... Facts are facts... its quite sad to see an OD respond this way.

no wonder people hate going to the dentist

i appreciate the people on here that tell it like it is. despite the warnings, i've still decided to pursue an OD as i feel that i would enjoy my job (A LOT more than dentistry or other health professions anyway). i'd be completely content making $70,000. and i don't mind the 4 years of school. the one last thing that nags at me is the debt i'm going to be in. i've saved enough $ for the first year, so that's $9000 less of a loan. i had a rather simple-minded curiosity for those of you who foretell the insecure future of the profession. if i didn't have to take loans out for living expenses and got half my tution paid for, would you think it's "worth" it? (bearing in mind i like school and don't need to make $100,000+ to be happy.) i ask because i realize for some of you, you stress the profession is not worth it WHEN CONSIDERING the time, work, and money it takes to get there. thanks

i appreciate the people on here that tell it like it is. despite the warnings, i've still decided to pursue an OD as i feel that i would enjoy my job (A LOT more than dentistry or other health professions anyway). i'd be completely content making $70,000. and i don't mind the 4 years of school. the one last thing that nags at me is the debt i'm going to be in. i've saved enough $ for the first year, so that's $9000 less of a loan. i had a rather simple-minded curiosity for those of you who foretell the insecure future of the profession. if i didn't have to take loans out for living expenses and got half my tution paid for, would you think it's "worth" it? (bearing in mind i like school and don't need to make $100,000+ to be happy.) i ask because i realize for some of you, you stress the profession is not worth it WHEN CONSIDERING the time, work, and money it takes to get there. thanks

Are you on the GI bill or WICHE?

i live like a penny pinching miser, lol.

You might not want to blow your entire savings and consider taking more of a loan. If job prospects get worst, you might want to have a bit of a safety net when you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha wow, too funny. I was wondering where this dude was posting now...he can't go too long without posting on SDN in one way or another.

I wish you guys knew how long layogurt has been trolling these forums under so many different user names. Wired202808 and mr. avicci were his most prominent names in the pre-dental forum. Since then I am aware of 7 different user names he has used, several with hundreds of posts.

Just for your entertainment, a little golden nugget of info on him:

He applied to all DO schools and was rejected so he switched to pre-dental and did several years of post-bacc to increase his GPA to a high enough level to apply.

All of this is fine (switching to dentistry and doing a post-bacc) but it is just hilarious given the trash he was talking about optometry students not being competitive for other professions. You would think someone in his shoes would have an ounce of humility.

Sorry if this keeps a miserable thread going, just thought it is funny.

Suddenly, it all makes sense.

Haha wow, too funny. I was wondering where this dude was posting now...he can't go too long without posting on SDN in one way or another.

I wish you guys knew how long layogurt has been trolling these forums under so many different user names. Wired202808 and mr. avicci were his most prominent names in the pre-dental forum. Since then I am aware of 7 different user names he has used, several with hundreds of posts.

He applied to all DO schools and was rejected so he switched to pre-dental and did several years of post-bacc to increase his GPA to a high enough level to apply.

All of this is fine (switching to dentistry and doing a post-bacc) but it is just hilarious given the trash he was talking about optometry students not being competitive for other professions. You would think someone in his shoes would have an ounce of humility.

Thanks, wish someone would have exposed him earlier. Kind of feel pity on him, no wonder he is trolling around to feel better about himself. This guy will be miserable for his entire life.

I cannot ignore the ignorance on this thread any longer as it has become quite offensive. btw, I stopped reading since page 4 so this response is not meant for anything after page 4.

Optomchick: where do i begin...from all dentists are basically people who can't make to med schools, to dentists are basically "car-wash for teeth".....really? have you ever shadowed a dentist? do you really think people chose dentistry because they suck too much for med? before you speak you might want to think about what you're going to say and how intelligent that will make you look.

q1we3: while layogurt is a troll, your responses and eagerness to feed the troll are even more pathetic. fyi, calling names such as 'garbage' and 'bitch' on this forum really tells us something about you. seriously, grow up. also, nobody should be impressed with your 96% because OAT is easier, see points below.

Everything else is garbage like you.

Shnurek: all sections on DAT and OAT are the same except PAT and physics, but the difficulties differ by a lot. I took the OAT without taking any science courses (undergrad in engineering) with 2 months of studying and got 99.8% percentile. I went into the DAT with many science courses under my belt and 2 months of studying, all relaxed, thinking the exact same (same sections, made by the same exam company, must be similar, right?) and only got 93% percentile. Believe me, I found it the hard way that DAT was much, much harder. I studied some more and later took the Canadian DAT, got 96% percentile. You guys are here talking about OAT vs DAT? Well, it's something you don't know unless you took both tests, and I did.

Stop bashing each other. the more you bash the more idiotic you look. however, I'm sure everyone here appreciates statements that can be backed up with your own experience, research, or evidence. Think before you speak and appreciate what people like JasonK have to say.

Last edited:
I cannot ignore the ignorance on this thread any longer as it has become quite offensive. btw, I stopped reading since page 4 so this response is not meant for anything after page 4.

Optomchick: where do i begin...from all dentists are basically people who can't make to med schools, to dentists are basically "car-wash for teeth".....really? have you ever shadowed a dentist? do you really think people chose dentistry because they suck too much for med? before you speak you might want to think about what you're going to say and how intelligent that will make you look.

q1we3: while layogurt is a troll, your responses and eagerness to feed the troll are even more pathetic. fyi, calling names such as 'garbage' and 'bitch' on this forum really tells us something about you. seriously, grow up. also, nobody should be impressed with your 96% because OAT is easier, see points below.

Shnurek: all sections on DAT and OAT are the same except PAT and physics, but the difficulties differ by a lot. I took the OAT without taking any science courses (undergrad in engineering) with 2 months of studying and got 99.8% percentile. I went into the DAT with many science courses under my belt and 2 months of studying, all relaxed, thinking the exact same (same sections, made by the same exam company, must be similar, right?) and only got 93% percentile. Believe me, I found it the hard way that DAT was much, much harder. I studied some more and later took the Canadian DAT, got 96% percentile. You guys are here talking about OAT vs DAT? Well, it's something you don't know unless you took both tests, and I did.

Stop bashing each other. the more you bash the more idiotic you look. however, I'm sure everyone here appreciates statements that can be backed up with your own experience, research, or evidence. Think before you speak and appreciate what people like JasonK have to say.

Okay thanks, you're great and we're not.

Now everyone just let this thread die (by not responding).

o my lord here comes another one and again with the stupid scores. You seem to forget how this troll was bashing the profession and students for weeks. Someone had to stoop to his level to respond. But, whatever you seem to want to carry on where he left so go ahead. I just wish you people for once would stay on your forums. But don't think that will ever happen.

o my lord here comes another one and again with the stupid scores. You seem to forget how this troll was bashing the profession and students for weeks. Someone had to stoop to his level to respond. But, whatever you seem to want to carry on where he left so go ahead. I just wish you people for once would stay on your forums. But don't think that will ever happen.

I can understand your frustration with some of the previous posters in this thread that happened to be pre-dental, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I think that an increase in interdisciplinary conversations can be nothing but beneficial. I have often wondered why there is so little interaction on this website between optometry, pharmacy, dentistry, medicine etc. We could all benefit by understanding the rigors of what each other are going through to become professionals in our chosen trades and we may very well need to work together in the future.

I can understand your frustration with some of the previous posters in this thread that happened to be pre-dental, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I think that an increase in interdisciplinary conversations can be nothing but beneficial. I have often wondered why there is so little interaction on this website between optometry, pharmacy, dentistry, medicine etc. We could all benefit by understanding the rigors of what each other are going through to become professionals in our chosen trades and we may very well need to work together in the future.

Ya I go on the dental boards/medical boards all the time. There are always chumps that ask what I am doing there but I talk anyway.

Noble cause, but it presupposes a mutual respect among disciplines, which doesn't seem to exist, if this thread/forum is any indication.

Then again, maybe this forum just brings out the worst in some people.

Interdisciplinary dialogue is great but on forums like these even the shyest people seem to turn into internet gangsters. Apparently, once you become anonymous you are also invincible. Who cares about ethics when not even the laws of physics apply to you anymore.

Apparently, once you become anonymous you are also invincible. Who cares about ethics when not even the laws of physics apply to you anymore.

Haha, I'm used to it because this is how people act here in the city. If you talk to someone random you are most likely never to run into them in your life again.

lol it figures he wasn't good enough for med. While reading his posts i detected a huge amount of immaturity... Somewhere between professor lor's/shadowing lor's, the interview, and the personal statement... stuff like that comes out.

I agree with this post. ^

lololol. So you chivalrously defended optometry from the big bad wolf, huh? Grow up.

Ya I go on the dental boards/medical boards all the time. There are always chumps that ask what I am doing there but I talk anyway.

Yea, I've seen some of your posts on the other forums and honestly, you make optometry look bad. I remember one thread in particular everyone started making fun of you. Maybe I'll care enough to edit this post after i find the thread again? Or not.

Noble cause, but it presupposes a mutual respect among disciplines, which doesn't seem to exist, if this thread/forum is any indication.

Then again, maybe this forum just brings out the worst in some people.

....or maybe, the worst people end up in optometry and consequently in this forum? Or is it that the worst people in optometry end up on this forum....

/rant

Last edited:
....or maybe, the worst people end up in optometry and consequently in this forum? Or is it that the worst people in optometry end up on this forum....

No evidence to support the former. The latter might be true, but wouldn't explain the preponderance of non-optometry board members being right in the middle of the bull****, if not instigating it (see: your comment above).

Eh... If you take away layogurt, ive really only seen opto ppl acting like fools on this thread at least. He trolled them soooo hard.. Had like 4-5 opto ppl crapping bricks instead of just growing a pair and ignoring him. It's like they couldnt see how totally ridiculous they were being made to look.

trollface.jpg

Eh... If you take away layogurt, ive really only seen opto ppl acting like fools on this thread at least. He trolled them soooo hard.. Had like 4-5 opto ppl crapping bricks instead of just growing a pair and ignoring him. It's like they couldnt see how totally ridiculous they were being made to look.

Reason why we all kept responding was to keep the thread active so the moderator will eventually ban him, which he did. Problem solved. Seems like you are hear to start something similar.

Ohhhhhhhhh.... Nowwww I get it. You wanted his 18th account banned, cause that'll really teach him something. Yea, thats why it's ok to let some1 get you into a shouting match for 3 pages. Yep, you had such a clever plan! I bow to your optometric greatness.

Ohhhhhhhhh.... Nowwww I get it. You wanted his 18th account banned, cause that'll really teach him something. Yea, thats why it's ok to let some1 get you into a shouting match for 3 pages. Yep, you had such a clever plan! I bow to your optometric greatness.

Well it did work and the thread was dead, I repeat the thread was dead, until another troll took over his duties. But whatever, there are just too many of your kind, can't fight them all.

I've been following this thread and it's very interesting! and funny of course.

It looks like OD's are getting a lot of hit after they graduate.... it's interesting to see that since there are literally 20 optometry schools vs. 126 pharmacy schools.. I would've thought OD's are doing alright with pumping less out into the field. o_O

Good output guys :thumbup:

lol it's [terribly] amusing to watch the house burn:corny:... they are destroying themselves. First law, then optometry. I was just looking at a florida FM residency program website where a former OD had gone back to get his DO. I guess what makes it so interesting for me to watch is that these people aren't dumb.. they KNOW stuff has hit the fan in this profession, yet they continue to go into it in even HIGHER numbers... it defies logic on so many levels. You'd think with at least a 3.0 GPA in biology they would be capable of... oh never mind....:whistle:

http://studentdoctor.net/2012/07/20-questions-chris-lundberg-dds/

If you had it to do all over again, would you still become an orthodontist? (Why or why not? What would you have done instead?)
If I had it to do all over again, I absolutely would still become an orthodontist! I feel very fortunate to be practicing in a field I love and touching so many lives in a positive way.

I never heard an Optometrist say that.

I never heard an Optometrist say that.

I've actually hear many ODs say that, but they always limit it by saying, "Well, if I could start over again when I graduated back in the day, I'd do it again, but if I had to start today, I'd never consider it."

No one argues against the fact that there are many ODs out there who have made very good livings in optometry; just about all of them are grads from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Regarding the orthodontist's comment about repeating his career path, I'd love to do an experiment in which you lined up 100 orthodontists who've been in practice for the last 5 years next to 100 OD grads who've been in practice for the same period. Ask them that question, and then compare the percentages. I'd love to see those numbers. Actually, on second thought, I'd hate to see those numbers. In short, I don't know why anyone would feel "very, very sorry" for him - I think we all know what the results of that experiment would be.

You're kind of oblivious, Jason.

Actually, dinkus, jason sounds really f*ing intelligent compared to some of the arguments you've made. Your use of logic and comprehension skills could definitely come up a few notches.

I don't want to come off like I'm only interested in the financial aspect of optometry (it's certainly much more to me), but does anyone know if it is possible anymore to get six figures upon graduation by going into retail? I figure that some people here might know some recent grads.

See dinkus proves my point.. He can't make a logical argument to refute ANYTHING jason said, and when I kindly pointed him to his error he calls me a troll. Something I would only expect from someone going into optometry when the smartmoney is getting out and hollering at the top of their lungs ppl shouldn't go into it. Go ahead dinkus, post some more exquisite prose attached to a picture that I couldn't care less about.

Dinkus, optometry is awesome. Please enter the profession at lighting speed. You are going to be a rockstar making hundreds of thousands of dollars and enjoying a satisfying career full of jolly surprises, belly laughs, and general jubilee. Your palms will be sore from high-fiving staff and patients all day. It is going to be a veritable cornucopia of success and prizes. Please be sure to come back and tell everyone on this forum of your bountiful successes.

Last edited:
I'm still ignoring the troll, but Jason K, you've missed the point. I'll wait for KHE to explain his post, and then maybe you'll understand why I called you oblivious. Until then, take a deep breath, maybe go outside, relax, and if at that point you want to take another crack at it, fine. But for now, you should probably stop posting.

I'm still ignoring the troll, but Jason K, you've missed the point. I'll wait for KHE to explain his post, and then maybe you'll understand why I called you oblivious. Until then, take a deep breath, maybe go outside, relax, and if at that point you want to take another crack at it, fine. But for now, you should probably stop posting.

I find it hilarious the pre-opt student is acting high and mighty & mocking the optometrist. You guys have a funny forum heirarchy.

I find it hilarious the pre-opt student is acting high and mighty & mocking the optometrist. You guys have a funny forum heirarchy.

Jason deserves a good mocking now and again. This is one of those times. He completely missed the idea of KHE's post.

I don't see why a "forum hierarchy" is necessary, nor would it be beneficial for discussion (not that this thread includes legitimate discussion or anything). The great thing about the internet is that you don't have to kiss anybody's ass. An optometrist isn't an optometrist; he's a poster, just as liable to be criticized as any other poster. What's funny to me is the massive ego that's preventing posters like Jason K to look back on their posts to determine why they got called out. In this case, I might as well let the cat out of the bag and tell you that KHE felt "very, very sorry for [him]" because BrokenClock was clearly just the product of layogurt registering for the nth time. Jason K's post indicated that he was oblivious to that fact. I'm sorry that I had to spell it out for you guys.

In this case, I might as well let the cat out of the bag and tell you that KHE felt "very, very sorry for [him]" because BrokenClock was clearly just the product of layogurt registering for the nth time. Jason K's post indicated that he was oblivious to that fact. I'm sorry that I had to spell it out for you guys.

What are you babbling about? KHE has, in other posts, said he felt "very sorry" for people, with regard to their attitudes toward optometry and its future. If you have some sort of one-way bosom-buddy connection with him that allows you to interpret his posts' sarcasm at a plane, higher than my own, then kudos to you, good sir....kudos. You will make a fine addition to our robust profession.

I don't know, KHE, did I give you too much credit?

Status
Not open for further replies.