Optometry Legislative Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometrystudent333

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in the process of choosing a school to pursue my optometric education; in Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus) or Massachusetts (School of Optometry at MCPHS). I plan to practice outside of either of those states, eventually.

What are some things to consider? Also, do either of these states/schools have contracts to practice in other states? Any other tips?

I hope to hear from someone soon, as I will need to make a final decision! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Massachusetts is the one pariah state in optometry due to not allowing OD's to prescribe both glaucoma drops or orals. The only other state that comes close to this is New York, which doesn't allow OD's to prescribe orals. This is due to the very high prevalence of ophthalmologists in both states by nearly a 1:1 ratio.

With that being said, I would go to school wherever you think you will end up practicing afterward. If you see yourself anywhere in New England long term, then staying is Mass is probably your best bet. Despite its current scope, Massachusetts is one of the smallest states in the country and is surrounded by 6 other states that it's heavily integrated with. If you see yourself in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or the other states more southern, then I would consider PCO more seriously. I would also factor both tuition and cost of living into this. You will have slightly higher COL in Massachusetts. Our housing market has taken a complete nose dive the past 10 years.