Optometry Legislative Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometrystudent333

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in the process of choosing a school to pursue my optometric education; in Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus) or Massachusetts (School of Optometry at MCPHS). I plan to practice outside of either of those states, eventually.

What are some things to consider? Also, do either of these states/schools have contracts to practice in other states? Any other tips?
(I made a duplicate post under the Optometry forum, but I feel Pre-Optometry students may be able to help me out too! Thanks!)

I hope to hear from someone soon, as I will need to make a final decision! :)

Members don't see this ad.

When you graduate and pass all parts of the boards examinations, you can apply for a license in any state you choose as long as you meet the requirements of that state (passing law examinations, passing injections test, obtaining a certain score on certain sections of boards, etc.) When you graduate from an accredited optometry program in the USA, the state in which you studied won't matter.

Consider what you want in a school and what is important to you - class size, activities, tuition, board pass rates, location, cost-of-living, past student recommendations, and student-to-faculty ratio are things you may have a certain feeling about. These factors may help you decide on which is the best fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user