Optometry or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone; I am new to this forum.

Currently, I am a high school senior, and I am contemplating whether or not to try and become an optometrist. From what I know/heard:

Pros:
1. Good salary.
2. Job security.
3. Held in high esteem among public.
4. I enjoy biology/physiology.
5. I enjoy helping others.
6. Takes 4 years after college (short compared to M.D's).

Cons:
1. I heard that it is hard to get into optometry schools (only 17 in U.S., 2 in Ca.)

Right now, my cumulative gpa is roughly 3.1. If I do choose to pursue optometry as a career, my primary concern would be that my grades in college might not be good enough to get accepted into an optometry school.

Is this a valid concern? Are the admissions really that rigorous? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Point 3 isn't as true as you would think. Just so you know if that's a big issue for you.

I realize that an optometrist and an M.D. are not exactly the same when it comes to "popularity", but it is still considered a career in the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether point 3 is true or not depends partly on where you end up practicing. An OD who owns a well established practice and is active in the community will be held in a much higher regard by the general public than an OD who works at Walmart.

Well, the job status isnt my biggest might-be deterrent; My primary concern is whether or not I'll be accepted into an optometry school after undergrad. What are the average undergrad admission stats for a freshman optometry student? Thanks.

Well, the job status isnt my biggest might-be deterrent; My primary concern is whether or not I'll be accepted into an optometry school after undergrad. What are the average undergrad admission stats for a freshman optometry student? Thanks.

Check out www.opted.org

They have all of the averages (GPA, OAT) for incoming 1st year optometry students.

Does anyone know SCCO's (Southern California College of Optometry) acceptance percentage (the percentage of the applicants who were accepted)?
Thanks.

Currently, I am a high school senior, and I am contemplating whether or not to try and become an optometrist. From what I know/heard:

Pros:
1. Good salary.
2. Job security.

Cons:
1. I heard that it is hard to get into optometry schools (only 17 in U.S., 2 in Ca.)

Right now, my gpa is roughly 3.1. If I do choose to pursue optometry as a career, my primary concern would be that my grades in college might not be good enough to get accepted into an optometry school.

Is this a valid concern? Are the admissions really that rigorous? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You're probably getting a bit too far ahead of yourself. Its nice to try to plan out your life but if you are a high school senior, what I would do right now is concentrate hard on trying to get admitted to a college that will be a good fit for you. If you enjoy biology/physiology then study that at college and try to have a good college experience.

You may find that something else in college piques your interest. You may ultimately find that optometry is the right career for you and you will pursue it. But right now, just concentrate on getting into a good college and having a good college experience.

Right now, your high school GPA doesn't matter for anything other than getting into college.

I understand this; however, I'm sure that most of you would agree with me when I say that how someone does in college is at least somewhat reflected by how they did in high school (study habits, etc...)

I understand this; however, I'm sure that most of you would agree with me when I say that how someone does in college is at least somewhat reflected by how they did in high school (study habits, etc...)

Your study habits will only improve in college if you are serious about working hard (which it seems like you are.) It's great that you are so motivated to do well! I think your college record will blow your high school transcript out of the water! Good luck with everything.

Hello i am a Pre-Medical student wondering around in this forum were as I should prob. be in MD/DO forums!:laugh: But im here and I cannot disagree more with the remark you stated above. Because of the fact that your high school expirience sometimes and alot of times have NOTHING to do with your college expirience ahh with the exception of some students that are taking college credits in high school but other than that and using your final grades to get into a college there is nothing that may correlate High School and college. For example I know students that in high school were straight A and were "Honors Club", "Principals Honor Roll" and ect... But when they got to college they belived it was going to somewhat be similar to high school and to their surprise they found themselve's getting D's, C's and even F's at a time. So my point is high school REALLY has nothing to do with college, except with the 2 exceptions I pointed out above!!!

Good Luck and for now just finish high school and go to a college that you feel comfterble in and like, then start getting all your Optometry School Pre-requisiuts out of the way.

Just my 2 centz!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would have to second that. However, I had the exact same grades in high school as I do in college but I am just one of the few. Most people it seems like have a completely different experience. You will do fine. You seem to be very driven about optometry and that is great. However, don't push your self too hard right now, especially since you are only in high school. This can lead to big problems if you worry too much right now. You might drive yourself into a wall with school by being overly stressed and end up hating everything in the end. Set goals, work hard, and do your best and you will do fine. You may have to study a little more than most to get the GPA you want or maybe you wont. I actually found myself studying less in college than in high school and I have a 3.8 GPA. I still ask myself how this is possible! Good luck with everything though

Hey,

I just wanted to write and commend you for thinking about your future while you are young. I decided when I was 14 yrs old that I wanted to be an optometrist and I worked hard and I will be graduating in 2010!

I think it is great that you are concerned. Really, we can all write and tell you our opinions but ultimately only you are the one who can decide your future. If you truly want to be an optometrist you will work hard in undegrad and learn what you love. Whether or not that ends up being a career in optometry is probably too early to tell.

I have many friends that were pre-med/opt etc and ended upo pursuing masters degrees in other science fields.

So, have confidence in yourself and you'll get there!

Goodluck

With those piss poor grades I'm surprised you're even considering a career in the medical field. And no, Optometrist aren't exactly held in high esteem among the public. Is an O.D. even considered a doctor? Don't mean to sound pessimistic but you need to bring your grades up a little to be considered for any type of post-graduate school, regardless of how low in the medical community they are.

With those piss poor grades I'm surprised you're even considering a career in the medical field. And no, Optometrist aren't exactly held in high esteem among the public. Is an O.D. even considered a doctor? Don't mean to sound pessimistic but you need to bring your grades up a little to be considered for any type of post-graduate school, regardless of how low in the medical community they are.

nrut88, I've followed your posts and you seem to be nothing but a troll. So
please take your ignorant trolling attitude somewhere else. No one here needs any of your negativity and blatantly false information.

O.D.s are considered doctors since they are people who prescribe and make diagnoses. Though they are not as highly respected as MDs, but ODs have relatively high status. However, some ODs who work for commercial chains like Pearl Vision are looked down upon because they don't use the full extent of their knowledge to help others.

If you want to pursue optometry, hye345, you need to keep a high gpa. Do that and you will get in.

Your study habits will only improve in college if you are serious about working hard (which it seems like you are.) It's great that you are so motivated to do well! I think your college record will blow your high school transcript out of the water! Good luck with everything.

I respectfully disagree with that statement.

"Study habits" are meant to be built on and evolve as you work your way through your educational career in much the same way that an athlete trains to improve their skills in their particular sport. If you lag behind or don't develop the skills properly, it is going to be all that much harder to "catch up."

It's not a switch that you can just turn on (especially if you attend a college or university of any calibre) because unlike what most people think "working hard" doesn't simply mean studying more. Often times that ends up being a complete waste of time if you don't study smart.

I teach high school math and science. Out of my college bound students, I can predict with a good deal of accuracy who is going to do well in college and who won't.

On a side note, the stat that is correlated the most with college success is your attendance record.

Your high school GPA is number two.

Hmm, in high school my study habits were not the best and I graduated with like a 2.50 GPA. As I "matured" and began to take school more serious I found myself more interested and involved with academics to pave my way into a successful career. I majored in Biology with a 3.32 GPA in a pretty difficult university (bio majors dropped the program there like flys after their 1st semester). On the contrary, friends of mine who were straight 'A' students in high school seemed to be burned out and did poorly in college. Of course, each individual is different.

With those piss poor grades I'm surprised you're even considering a career in the medical field.

F.Y.I., my confused friend:

I had began to get serious about my grades in my junior year. While this is no excuse, it explains why my cumulative GPA is rather low; If you take my GPA for my junior year and what I am currently getting now in senior year, my overall GPA would be roughly 3.6.

People can change.

F.Y.I., my confused friend:

I had began to get serious about my grades in my junior year. While this in itself isn't exactly a good thing due to tardy timing, it explains why my cumulative GPA is rather low; If you take my GPA for my junior year and what I am currently getting now in senior year, my overall GPA would be roughly 3.6

F.Y.I., my confused senior:

Too bad that you had a 3.1 for your overall GPA as of the end of your junior year. Even with a 4.0 for the rest of your senior year you'll be lucky to have a 3.3 by the time you graduate. Sorry to rain on your parade but where I'm from, with those grades, you could only get into a small Divison II or III school, which graduate schools don't look too highly upon. Where exactly do you plan on going to undergraduate school at? It DOES make a difference regardless of what people say to you. The better the undergrad. intstitution the less your grades will matter when applying to optometry school. Gopd luck.

Even with a 4.0 for the rest of your senior year you'll be lucky to have a 3.3 by the time you graduate. Sorry to rain on your parade but where I'm from, with those grades, you could only get into a small Divison II or III school, which graduate schools don't look too highly upon.

I hardly believe that all practicing physicians today (not optometrists, physicians) had stellar grades in high school.

Where exactly do you plan on going to undergraduate school at?

I am pretty sure that I can get into UCSC. And if I don't, I can transfer to a UC after 2 years (I have already been accepted to 5 Cal States).

The better the undergrad. intstitution the less your grades will matter when applying to optometry school.

You do realize that this statement has very little, if any, relevancy? Grades are supposed to matter when someone is applying for a graduate institution. If they didn't, the medical world would be a very different place!

I think what you meant to say was this: if you go to a "better" undergrad institution and get bad grades, the admissions officer at a graduate institution might understand that the courses at that school aren't easy, and may cut you some slack. In the long run, though, for most students, this will not carry them a significiant distance towards acceptance, and is negligible. Optometry schools look at the OAT scores if they want to compare 2 applicants from different schools.

Don't get me wrong; I think that one should strive to get into the best undergrad institution that he/she can. Not for the reason you have stated, but because the hard work will prepare you for what's ahead.

Hmm, in high school my study habits were not the best and I graduated with like a 2.50 GPA. As I "matured" and began to take school more serious I found myself more interested and involved with academics to pave my way into a successful career. I majored in Biology with a 3.32 GPA in a pretty difficult university (bio majors dropped the program there like flys after their 1st semester). On the contrary, friends of mine who were straight 'A' students in high school seemed to be burned out and did poorly in college. Of course, each individual is different.

You're going to have to elaborate on your situation because I don't know of too many "pretty difficult universities" that are admitting students to biology major programs with a 2.50 GPA out of high school.

Wow... incredibly helpful post. :rolleyes: Thanks for contributing to our forum. :barf:

The last time I checked, a B average wasn't getting you into the top 3% of your class, but it definitely wan't "piss poor." What's "piss poor" to me is your attitude. Someone needs to find better way to boost their self-esteem.

hye, I'm excited for you that you are taking your future so seriously. Not very many high school students are like that. You should look into some schools that do a 3+4 program for future opt students. I know NOVA and UMSL have programs like that.

You should look into some schools that do a 3+4 program for future opt students. I know NOVA and UMSL have programs like that.

Are NOVA and UMSL undergrad universities? Because I have already applied to too many Cal States that are easier to get into than I thought :D. Right now, I am aiming for UCSC.

Yes, UMSL and NOVA are undergrad schools. They give high school seniors conditional acceptance into their optometry schools once they enter the undergrad program. I think ICO has a 3+4 program too with IIT (illinois institute of technology). Just a thought, since those are geared specifically towards HS students.

Either way, good luck!!:p

On a side note, the stat that is correlated the most with college success is your attendance record.
Good point,and often overlooked among university students. GO TO CLASS!!!

I realize that this is a broad question, but I'll ask it anyway:

From all of your personal experiences, which optometry schools are the easiest to get accepted into (comparatively)? Thanks.

imho, each school has about the same difficulty. some schools have less spots, which makes getting an acceptance harder. but in general, once you have what it takes for one school, you pretty much have what it takes for all of them.

so an easier school to get into would be one with a lot of spots and fewer applicants.

I respectfully disagree with that statement.

I understand the disagreement, that's cool with me. When I said that I think his college record will blow his high school record out of the water, it was just positive motivation so that he can feel good about himself and the bright future he has in front of him, that's all. :)

I understand the disagreement, that's cool with me. When I said that I think his college record will blow his high school record out of the water, it was just positive motivation so that he can feel good about himself and the bright future he has in front of him, that's all. :)

While I do respect you giving me motivation, please don't over-inflate my chances.

I think PCO has a joint program with a neighboring college in Pennsylvania so that you can finish undergrad in 3 years and start optometry school a year earlier. And your grades aren't that bad--but surely improvement would raise your chances. :)
Good luck!

Yes, UMSL and NOVA are undergrad schools. They give high school seniors conditional acceptance into their optometry schools once they enter the undergrad program. I think ICO has a 3+4 program too with IIT (illinois institute of technology). Just a thought, since those are geared specifically towards HS students.

Either way, good luck!!:p

FIY if you check around there are also excellent allopathic med schools that offer a 3+4 program. I bring this up to point out that MD schools also offer a “short cut”.

Pros:
1. Good salary.
2. Job security.

Cons:

Right now, my cumulative gpa is roughly 3.1. If I do choose to pursue optometry as a career, my primary concern would be that my grades in college might not be good enough to get accepted into an optometry school.

HAHA!

You have one thing under the cons list. :laugh: