Optometry Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am strongly considering doing a residency after graduation. I am from New York City and I go to SUNY but I'd want to go to OK, KY, TN, CO, or some other ocular disease/liberal scope state for optos. I will fit in, I'm not worrying about that. But can someone scale what matters most when it comes to residencies?

-Class grades year 1+2
-Clinical grades year 3+4
-Networking connections - knowing people
-Step 1 board scores

Thank you for any tips you can give me and JasonK I'd gladly want you to comment but please just tell me how you got your Ocular Disease residency and not why I won't be successful, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am strongly considering doing a residency after graduation. I am from New York City and I go to SUNY but I'd want to go to OK, KY, TN, CO, or some other ocular disease/liberal scope state for optos. I will fit in, I'm not worrying about that. But can someone scale what matters most when it comes to residencies?

-Class grades year 1+2
-Step 1 board scores

Thank you for any tips you can give me and JasonK I'd gladly want you to comment but please just tell me how you got your Ocular Disease residency and not why I won't be successful, thanks.

I know you still have a few years, but as of now, the only "liberal" optometry scope is in OK. Even with the KY law, there has not been full implementation, and it will probably take longer before that filters down to any residency training. Of course, regardless of training, you will still be limited by where you practice, as you well know. I'm really not trying to start anything, so let's not get into a p**sing contest. Just something to think about.

I would consider a position in an MDs office, even if at PT it would still equal out to the same knowledge base & clinical experience and the pay would be better too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider a position in an MDs office, even if at PT it would still equal out to the same knowledge base & clinical experience and the pay would be better too.

Yea, going to do that probably this summer. It would be so much more fun now that I know a lot more about eyes.

@Visionary, Well for me any state other than NY/Mass is more opto liberal as NY is the second most restrictive out of all the states.

Yea, going to do that probably this summer. It would be so much more fun now that I know a lot more about eyes.

@Visionary, Well for me any state other than NY/Mass is more opto liberal as NY is the second most restrictive out of all the states.

So, do you plan on moving to a different state, once finished?

So...no answers to this question?

I'm still pondering about a residency, but I feel that all the responses I have gotten are biased since they were all from instructors who needed it to teach.

I'm still pondering about a residency, but I feel that all the responses I have gotten are biased since they were all from instructors who needed it to teach.

Same. I keep getting conflicting anecdotal answers. I'm guessing if they think you are competent during clinicals they'll write you a good rec and you'll get in.

I never did a residency but I would guess:

-Class grades year 1+2
-Step 1 board scores

-Class grades year 1+2
-Step 1 board scores

Hi Shnurek!

I am just going to copy and paste the criteria one of extern sites:

"
Selection Criteria/Ranking
"Approximate weights are placed on each by the Residency Coordinator, which are as follows:

• GPA ~20%
  • NBEO ~20%
  • Curriculum Vitae ~10%
  • Letter of Intent ~10%
  • Letter of Recommendations ~20%
  • Special qualities/characteristics ~20%
    • Maturity
    • Professionalism
    • Compassion
    • Likability
    • Ability to get along with others
    • Personality that is complementary to clinic doctors and staff
    • Genuine affect and sense of humor
Good luck! Try googling "pros and cons of an optometric residency" as well. =)