Optometry school decision 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Michael

Reaction score
Hi, I am a Canadian student trying to make a decision between NSU, MCPH, NECO and IAUPR. Theres obviously many factors that are involved ,but my two main are overall cost (in terms of living + tuition) and the education I will receive (in terms of pass rates for board exam, good professors, a overall good program that wouldn't kick you out right away if any problems occur, a small class is always better, a good study environment). Big or small, any advice would help ! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm, from my past experiences talking to current optometrists, I would focus on NSU (NOVA) or NECO. here's a thread that I found comparing the two Nova vs NECO, and https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/davie-fl/boston-ma/55000 comparing the cost of living. Boston is about 35% more expensive than Florida but it may be most similar to what you're used to living in Canada. If you're looking for a change in scenery, NSU/NOVA can give you that (the climate is similar to the one at IAUPR). ALso, I would highly recommend comparing the board rates at all schools, especially the first exam. But NECO is located in a beautiful setting surrounded by so much history

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hmm, from my past experiences talking to current optometrists, I would focus on NSU (NOVA) or NECO. here's a thread that I found comparing the two Nova vs NECO, and https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/davie-fl/boston-ma/55000 comparing the cost of living. Boston is about 35% more expensive than Florida but it may be most similar to what you're used to living in Canada. If you're looking for a change in scenery, NSU/NOVA can give you that (the climate is similar to the one at IAUPR). ALso, I would highly recommend comparing the board rates at all schools, especially the first exam. But NECO is located in a beautiful setting surrounded by so much history
Thank you so much, I appreciate this.