Optometry school dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In optometry school are you expected to dress up to go to class (using a tie, etc.) or can you wear whatever you want?

Members don't see this ad.

At UHCO you dress up only if you go downstairs into the clinic (even just to grab a chart)

If you're staying upstairs for lecture or procedures lab you can wear whatever you want. jeans, t-shirts, etc

I do know that SCCO has a dress code (professional dress) for EVERY DAY you're there (even just sitting in lecture). Or, at least they did when I interviewed in 2001.

Hello-

It really depends on the school. However, you will definitely be required to dress in professional attire when you work in the clinic no matter where you are. You will be sent home to change if you are not appropriately dressed to see patients.

For UCBSO, you can wear casual clothes (i.e. jeans) to lectures and labs.

When I interviewed at SCCO last year, the administrators told me that professional attire was required everyday in lectures. The students I spoke to said that was only enforced the first week of class. The SCCO students also told me that only a specific "SCCO thermal mug" purchased at the bookstore for ~$20 was allowed in lecture halls. I'm sure that's not really enforced. =)

Best wishes,

Rosanna

Members don't see this ad :)
At SUNY our lecture dress code is casual (jeans okay, but no ripped-up jeans or rude slogan t-shirts), the Gestapo clinical faculty have us dress up for procedures labs, and of course business-dress when in clinic.

j.opt,

im not sure about wearing a tie, but when I went to interview at NOVA ( in Florida) they have a strict dress code b/c of all the students there (i.e dentist, DOs, and OD's etc.) so they needed a way to visually separate all their students...

I didnt like that.....I didnt like the fact that students are REQUIRED to wear a certain "coat"...(only in school) ....

but as far as wearing a tie etc.; I think that is appropriate to when you finally deal with patients......
looks are everything in this profession I think!
its like Fire Trucks....why do you think firemen are always clearning their equipent? because the public gets an image of "wow! they have their stuff together" --- and its more respected...

At ICO casual dress is fine for lecture/lab, but of course in clinic you need a to look a little nicer than that.

does the dress code consist of a suit or preppy attire like many private schools or a professional lab coat??? i'm confused.

Originally posted by basilisk312
does the dress code consist of a suit or preppy attire like many private schools or a professional lab coat??? i'm confused.
For clinic days, the dress code is shirt-and-tie for men/professional attire for the ladies -- with a white clinic coat over it.

(If you were asking about the "different coats" at Nova -- those are just white clinic coats with different patches to show which program you're in -- optometry, dental, osteopathic, etc.)